• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any way to tell if this is a downy or a hairy woodpecker? (United States) (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
I got this picture a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it's a Downy Woodpecker because I get them more but I can't remember the size of the bird from when I took the picture.
ea7e986a-fd3c-47e1-bc47-de4d03d0a108.jpg

The sides of the tails being unspotted (pure white) is a good feature I believe

Not that great. Can be surprisingly hard to differentiate in both field and photograph, depending how much of the relevant feather is visible, whether it's faded or dirty, or how clear a look you get. But yes, looks good here.

Another helpful hint you can see in the photo is the black stripe cleaving the red crown (not diagnostic, but highly suggestive):

The photo also shows the head/neck pattern of Hairy:
(Mostly reliable, but subject to vagaries of feather-fluffing and neck angle)

But you don't need any of those in this photo. Bill length is diagnostic.

Not that great. Can be surprisingly hard to differentiate in both field and photograph, depending how much of the relevant feather is visible, whether it's faded or dirty, or how clear a look you get. But yes, looks good here.

Another helpful hint you can see in the photo is the black stripe cleaving the red crown (not diagnostic, but highly suggestive):

The photo also shows the head/neck pattern of Hairy:
(Mostly reliable, but subject to vagaries of feather-fluffing and neck angle)

But you don't need any of those in this photo. Bill length is diagnostic.
Thank you! Will hopefully remember this in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back