• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody else use a monopod? (1 Viewer)

DuckNorris

United States
Does anybody else use a monopod?

I just started using this setup:

Amazon Basics 67-Inch Monopod

Leupold Binocular Tripod Adapter Tray, Black, Mount

The mount screws into the monopod and holds the bins (mine are 8x42 Nikon Monarch M7) securely with a velcro stretch strap.

The monopod and mount together weigh less than a pound (15 oz / 422 grams).

It works really well for me.

I keep the monopod extended to my eye level, and I find it super steady on the ground and surprisingly wieldy.

I'm short enough that 67" monopod can get the bins up to eye level on me. I just leave it like that. The places I go are flat and fairly smooth, which I guess helps.

If I need to use it off the ground, then it works like a long finnstick.

I use a monopod but with various spotting ‘scopes. I can’t imagine using a monopod with a pair of binoculars - feels like it would remove the freedom of movement

Last edited:
I use one for a small (ish) scope but find it almost useless standing so now have a small fold up stool in the birding bag to make it more comfortable, it works perfectly adequately seated and I would imagine enhance stability a bit with bins when standing but don't go down that road personally preferring to keep magnification to hand held limits instead (non i.s).

Does anybody else use a monopod?

I just started using this setup:

Amazon Basics 67-Inch Monopod

Leupold Binocular Tripod Adapter Tray, Black, Mount

The mount screws into the monopod and holds the bins (mine are 8x42 Nikon Monarch M7) securely with a velcro stretch strap.

The monopod and mount together weigh less than a pound (15 oz / 422 grams).

It works really well for me.

I keep the monopod extended to my eye level, and I find it super steady on the ground and surprisingly wieldy.

I'm short enough that 67" monopod can get the bins up to eye level on me. I just leave it like that. The places I go are flat and fairly smooth, which I guess helps.

If I need to use it off the ground, then it works like a long finnstick.
Your setup seems optimized for shore walks or grasslands, but not for walking in woods looking up for warblers.
Image stabilized binoculars such as the Canon 10x42 ISL are a more flexible solution, albeit materially more expensive.
Sadly the monopod's limitations are highlighted by the increased power of a scope.
They hold the weight but they still wobble from side to side, so good for a brief glimpse but overtaxed for a sustained viewing.

Yes, I was at the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. It's mostly marsh with levees to walk on. I think this setup wouldn't work in the woods or on hilly terrain. But it worked great for me today.

I realized I could have bought the 10x30 IS ii for what I spent on this rig.

I also realize that this rig weighs exactly the same as the 10x42 ISL. I had no problem with the weight.

I hope if I'm still enthusiastic about this new hobby at Christmas time that my wife might let me get myself a10x42 ISL as a present from her :).

Last edited:
Yes, I was at the Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. It's mostly marsh with levees to walk on. I think this setup wouldn't work in the woods or on hilly terrain. But it worked great for me today.

I realized I could have bought the 10x30 IS ii for what I spent on this rig.

I also realize that this rig weighs exactly the same as the 10x42 ISL. I had no problem with the weight.

I hope if I'm still enthusiastic about this new hobby at Christmas time that my wife might let me get myself a10x42 ISL as a present from her :).
Excellent plan! Maybe just happen to show her that the Canon costs under half what Swarovski charges for their NL 10x42....

I found monopods excel in the 15-20 magnification range (either bins or a small scope like the ED50) - basically the point where you could otherwise hold steady enough for a quick id but not a longer view. Once you get beyond 20x you really want a tripod. Yes definitely more suited to open countryside than woodland birding though.

Hermann

Hello,

I have a 12x50 mounted on a Monostat monopod. I use a Leica adapter and a tilt head. Fortunately, this setup is taller than I. However, I reserve this combination for very open spaces like marshland near the shore and for astronomy. I did not find the monopod useful for a 15x60 binocular.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

I use the same Amazon monopod and pistol grip ball head mainly for stargazing with my 20x60's and occasionally with my 10x50s. Makes for a quick trip out the door when I want a little more stability than handheld but don't want to drag out the scope. That combo works for me and I've been happy with it.

I use the same Amazon monopod and pistol grip ball head mainly for stargazing with my 20x60's and occasionally with my 10x50s. Makes for a quick trip out the door when I want a little more stability than handheld but don't want to drag out the scope. That combo works for me and I've been happy with it.

Which pistol grip ball head do you have?

I used a monopod with binoculars regularly when going to my son's football games. It was much less tiring to steady the pod than hold the binos. Worked pretty well.

I like a mono (with the ED50 as above) alongside my scope - so I scan with the mono and then if I get something interesting, migration watchpoint, I switch to the big scope...

I have a nice Manfrotto setup . Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip BallHead , Manfrotto MPMXPROA4 monopod and the Manfrotto fluidtech base . The whole affair will extend to 78 inches . I am 5' 10" and can see zenith without fully extending the monopod . It handles my 5 pound 15x70 's well enough although I wouldn't push it further than that . The adjustable fluid base makes for smooth panning whether you're stargazing at night or nature watching during the day .
The first picture shows how tall it can be .

Attachments

• DSC00788 (Large).JPG
    DSC00788 (Large).JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00785 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00785 (Medium).JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 26
I stopped using a tripod when I realised it was slowing me down. With a lightweight 20x WA spotting scope on a Manfrotto monopod, if I spot a distant bird I can lock onto it so much more rapidly than messing about with a tripod even though the latter is a little steadier.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back