• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Cephalonia ? (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

Have booked a holiday for late May , next year. It's with "her indoors" so more of a walking / relaxing trip but always like to see anything new if possible. Have checked what I can trawl on the "net" and looks good for general birding . Has anyone any useful or up-to-date gen , please ? Am staying at the south end of the island. Thanks.

cheshirebirder said:
Have booked a holiday for late May , next year. It's with "her indoors" so more of a walking / relaxing trip but always like to see anything new if possible. Have checked what I can trawl on the "net" and looks good for general birding . Has anyone any useful or up-to-date gen , please ? Am staying at the south end of the island. Thanks.

Hi, I was there in 2004 in July, not the best birding time, but mine was a "wife" holiday too.

Best birding sites I found were:- Livadi marshes. This is right at the head of the big bay on the West side of the island. If you pull off the road on the hairpin bend coming down to the marshes from the East you will get a great view over the marsh to check for herons and BOP - you can tell it's a good spot by all the gun cartridges scattered about. A track leads from here down the East side to the back of the marsh. Or you can drive down to the West side and follow another track around that side. I had short toed eagle there.
Not that far in a car, and nice scenery en route.

Mount Enos, tough on cars and recommend a 4 wheel drive, but loads of birds up here, some nice walks and picnic spots too and great views over the island - again BOP, loads of buntings, larks, warblers etc. The foothills to the North of the Masts was most productive for me. Also slopes above Skala - lots of warblers there.

Asos castle - a good day out, and you can explore the coast north and dine in fiskardo (reminded me of a cornish village). Don't drive up to the castle, park at the bottom. It's a steep walk, but the road is single track and only room for 2 cars at the top, hairpin bends the whole way - I did it and thought my wife would have a heart attack - wheels hanging over the edge most of the way up. But a nice overgrown and rocky jungle at the top, good views all round and lots of wildlife. Had Alpine Swift, Pallid swift en route here.

Boat trip to beach at Xi for BBQ was great day out and chance to pick up shearwaters etc on the way.

Hope that helps, have fun, it's a lovely place,

cheers, Martin

Went last year in August and stayed at Katos Katelios - typically Greek Island quiet, especially in absence of any reasonable water, but still got some good birds.

I did get some gen from someone who had visited in May when the birds were better - I'll dig it out and forward it to you when I get home from work.

I also didn't travel far but the sites above were recommended to me also.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=64622&highlight=katelios

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies , guys. I reckon there's a chance of rock partridge which would be a lifer for me so Mt Enos looks worth a visit - also supposed to be white-backed woodpecker ( and black ) up there.

Rock partridge...

cheshirebirder said:
Bet you "cleaned up " there , eh ?

I had Rock partridge on the minor road that runs northwards along the lower slopes on the East side of Enos, - the road does tend to get a bit rough in places but passable in a normal hire car with a bit of care.

And I used the report referred to above when I was planning too - hence my use of the term "Livadi marshes" - so my thanks to the author!

Good luck! Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back