• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like birds and cricket? Birds seen at cricket grounds. (1 Viewer)

In the last two days I found Lord's rubbish for incidental birdwatching whilst watching cricket with less than 10 species seen. The only species added was a Pied Wagtail today taking my Ashes summer tally to 13. I'm hoping for an improvement at Edgbaston after the Lord's disappointment.

All the best

In the last two days I found Lord's rubbish for incidental birdwatching whilst watching cricket with less than 10 species seen. The only species added was a Pied Wagtail today taking my Ashes summer tally to 13. I'm hoping for an improvement at Edgbaston after the Lord's disappointment.

All the best

So what one species would have adequately made up for the dismal England performance... ? Obviously it would have to have been a fly-by, our innings didn't last long enough for anything to actually settle.

James

So what one species would have adequately made up for the dismal England performance... ? Obviously it would have to have been a fly-by, our innings didn't last long enough for anything to actually settle.

James

A Red-footed Falcon, come to eat the cricket? 3:)

Not even close. 3:) Only Needletail could have rescued the day. B :)

Pied Wagtail certainly hardly registered. Remarkably a better day than the first day of Headingley 2009 when in perfect bowling conditions I saw Andrew Strauss elect to bat and England get bowled out for one less run - 102!

All the best

Not seen much too exciting whilst watching international games; have had a touch more success whilst playing myself though. Crossbill, Hobby, Osprey spring to mind.

A day at Edgbaston revealed nothing more than 9 of the common 13 species recorded already this summer so Cardiff still wins. (Not going to Trent Bridge but hope to have at least a day at the Oval where I have seen Wheatear before so it may add something. Seeing the winning runs or the last wicket to win a Test against the Aussies live for the sixth time made up for the lack of birds today.)

I realised after Lord's that I should have started a thread on birds seen on golf courses. I don't play golf yet have seen far more good birds on golf courses!

All the best

Cricket bird memories:

1983 while playing my one and only game for Jesus College Cambridge First XI fielding at third man (probably fine leg given my ability) I distinctly remember hearing the snapping bill of a swallow as it flew past.

In 1986 I observed (it is in my diary) about 14 geese flying over with one noticeably smaller than the rest (wonder what it was - a duck, ah no that was me).

Playing nearer home (Durley near Southampton) in the 1990s, Buzzards, Peregrine and Hobby while fielding (and much plane spotting too - perhaps we need a list of planes seen while playing cricket).

Regarding Larwood, surely Jardine is to blame with his dodgy tactics, Larwood was just obeying orders?

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned seeing A (PE) Knot(t) at Kent's ground and others in the 1970s.

Regarding Larwood, surely Jardine is to blame with his dodgy tactics, Larwood was just obeying orders?

Fair point. A few wearing the iconic quote on T shirts this summer:-

"I've not travelled 6,000 miles to make friends. I'm here to win the Ashes." Douglas Jardine, 1932-33 Ashes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ssic-quotes-2126339.html?action=gallery&ino=4

It was interesting to me after the slating that Broad received for not walking at Trent Bridge in the last home series from the Aussie media (and indeed Jonathan Agnew) that there has not been a murmur on their keeper not walking for the glove on the last day of Edgbaston and then reviewing one he had hit to 'try and get away with it' only a short while thereafter.......

Our school 1st XI pitch had a pair of breeding hobbies nearby that would put in an appearance in the evening of most games to bother the local hirundines. I was never very good at concentrating in the field.

All the best

Last edited:
All I can recall from my far from illustrious cricket 'career' was at Tunbridge Wells when I was fielding in the gully (no-one ever invited me to bowl, can't think why) was seeing my rosiest-ever Lesser Redpoll perched on top of a nearby hedge. it was a great day, as I hit my one and only six later on.

(I seem to remember Ted Dexter getting out at Lords or the Oval the very next ball after he was seen looking at a Heathrow bound jet, the commentator suggesting that his eyes hadn't refocussed to the necessary 22yards in time to face the next delivery!)

"After reading KP's appalling whining book I wish he had never bothered qualifying for England.
I can't imagine Colin Cowdrey writing such a litany of moaning self justification"

Quite agree - I was bought his book at Christmas and quite looked forward to it. By the end I just thought what a "mard arse".

I am at the Trent Bridge Ashes this week and will hopefully see Peregrine too - I have on most other visits.
Near the river means Gulls and Cormorants and once a singing Black Redstart on the walk in but not in the ground.

I dropped a vital spiralling catch last year on our local ground when a Red Kite went over. I didn't get any sympathy!

I have vague recollections of a test match at The Oval sometime in the 70's where a Hoopoe put in an appearance.
Anyone know if this memory can be substantiated or whether I'm dreaming?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back