• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone Prefer Conquest HD Eyecups Fully Down without Spectacles? (1 Viewer)

UTGrad

United States
Hello I own a pair of Conquests HD 10x42. Activities are hunting and wildlife observation, especially on the fringes of daylight.

Question: anyone not use the eyecups? I’ve found I prefer to anchor the eyepiece on my brow and view through the eyepiece with the eye cups pushed all the way in. The viewing angle and FOV appear bigger this way to my eyes.

What is a scenario where extending the eye cups is optimal?

Hi, I hope you will forgive me for editing your thread title. With eyecups fully down, you are still using the eyecups, just not using them extended, so I found your original title a little misleading.

The eyecups are there to bring your eyes to the point where they are not so far away from the bino that you cannot see the full field of view and not so close to the bino that you see those strange dark shadows we call 'blackouts'. Normally if you wear spectacles you will find the best position to be with the eyecups fully down and if you don't use spectacles then fully up is likely to be best.

One would expect that if you do not wear spectacles then if you use the binos with eyecups down, your eyes would be too close to the binos and you would be seeing blackouts, but you seem to have avoided that by positioning your binos accurately on your brow, something that many observers would find irritating to have to do when they want to get a quick view of a bird or butterfly or dragonfly before it disappears from view. If you find your method is reliable and not irritating to have to achieve then you stay with it as it is clearly a successful technique for you.

Lee

Hi, I hope you will forgive me for editing your thread title. With eyecups fully down, you are still using the eyecups, just not using them extended, so I found your original title a little misleading.

The eyecups are there to bring your eyes to the point where they are not so far away from the bino that you cannot see the full field of view and not so close to the bino that you see those strange dark shadows we call 'blackouts'. Normally if you wear spectacles you will find the best position to be with the eyecups fully down and if you don't use spectacles then fully up is likely to be best.

One would expect that if you do not wear spectacles then if you use the binos with eyecups down, your eyes would be too close to the binos and you would be seeing blackouts, but you seem to have avoided that by positioning your binos accurately on your brow, something that many observers would find irritating to have to do when they want to get a quick view of a bird or butterfly or dragonfly before it disappears from view. If you find your method is reliable and not irritating to have to achieve then you stay with it as it is clearly a successful technique for you.

Lee

Yes thank you. I found anchoring it on my brow steadies the optic much like the what the NL Pure head rest looks to achieve and I get a full view. I haven't had blackout issues with the 10x42 Conquests.

Hello I own a pair of Conquests HD 10x42. Activities are hunting and wildlife observation, especially on the fringes of daylight.

Question: anyone not use the eyecups? I’ve found I prefer to anchor the eyepiece on my brow and view through the eyepiece with the eye cups pushed all the way in. The viewing angle and FOV appear bigger this way to my eyes.

What is a scenario where extending the eye cups is optimal?
I have seen this method of using binoculars with the eye cups down without spectacles before, and I have used it from time to time. A salesman at a sporting goods store showed me how to do it once. If you can find a good position to rest the binoculars on your brow, it will allow you to see a huge FOV almost right to the field stops of the binoculars. It can be a little finicky because you have more of a tendency to move the binoculars, and then you will get blackouts, but it does allow a big FOV.

Last edited:
I have seen this method of using binoculars with the eye cups down without spectacles before, and I have used it from time to time. A salesman at a sporting goods store showed me how to do it once. If you can find a good position to rest the binoculars on your brow, it will allow you to see a huge FOV almost right to the field stops of the binoculars. It can be a little finicky because you can have more of a tendency to move the binoculars, and then you will get blackouts, but it does allow a big FOV.

Yep I've been doing it this way for years and got it down pat. I get the biggest viewing angle and a solid anchor point.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back