• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone tried Covert Optics? (2 Viewers)

yarrellii

Supporter
Just found a brand I've never heard of: Covert optics. I guess they are aimed primarily at the US hunting market, and that's probably the reason it's the first time I see it.
Well, there is this 42 mm bino (both in 8x and 10x) that looks quite interesting. Compact, no frills and quite light (23,5 oz - 665 g).

products-covert-optics-binoculars-top-down-view__88707.1642007541.1280.1280.jpg

I haven't been able to locate a website under their name, this is the closest I've got.

Their Instagram account is also a bit puzzling. Just a 7 posts, the first one from January and the last one from April.

And here's a video (unless the guy has huge hands, these seem quite compact).

Retail price is 499 $, but they are on sale at 299 $

Since they most likely outsource their binos from a Chinese manufacturer (like a miriad of other brands who put their logo on overseas products), I'm curious to know if they have another incarnation to be found this side of the Pond. I've checked the likes of Kite and Opticron but I'm not sure I've found this design among their ranges. The central dioptre locking mechanism is quite telling, as are the eyecups (remember me a bit of Swarovski/Meopta). Any guesses what these might be related to? They sure look sweet.

Just found a brand I've never heard of: Covert optics. I guess they are aimed primarily at the US hunting market, and that's probably the reason it's the first time I see it.
Well, there is this 42 mm bino (both in 8x and 10x) that looks quite interesting. Compact, no frills and quite light (23,5 oz - 665 g).

products-covert-optics-binoculars-top-down-view__88707.1642007541.1280.1280.jpg

I haven't been able to locate a website under their name, this is the closest I've got.

Their Instagram account is also a bit puzzling. Just a 7 posts, the first one from January and the last one from April.

And here's a video (unless the guy has huge hands, these seem quite compact).

Retail price is 499 $, but they are on sale at 299 $

Since they most likely outsource their binos from a Chinese manufacturer (like a miriad of other brands who put their logo on overseas products), I'm curious to know if they have another incarnation to be found this side of the Pond. I've checked the likes of Kite and Opticron but I'm not sure I've found this design among their ranges. The central dioptre locking mechanism is quite telling, as are the eyecups (remember me a bit of Swarovski/Meopta). Any guesses what these might be related to? They sure look sweet.
While I have no experience with these, they appear to be another iteration of the second generation Leupold McKinley HDs or Athlon Cronus G2.

@Nethero Interesting, I wasn't aware of those. I focused on European brands to see whether there could be a sibling around here in order to have an idea of the performance, but I'm not that familiar with American brands. Oddly enough, I can't for the love of mine find simple specs like the FOV on the most common marketing materials of the Covert, which is quite puzzling. A lot of marketing blurb, but not a lot of technical data.

@dries1 That was also my impression, but since I'm not familiar with the brand I don't know whether it's a long standing brand over there in the US or another of the many brands that have been forced to close (which always cast a doubt on those impressive warranty promises from some brands).

"I can't for the love of mine find simple specs like the FOV on the most common marketing materials of the Covert, which is quite puzzling".
Because they are covert and classified. LOL
Yes I wonder about these, not a good step in the marketing dept.

"I can't for the love of mine find simple specs like the FOV on the most common marketing materials of the Covert, which is quite puzzling".
Because they are covert and classified. LOL
Yes I wonder about these, not a good step in the marketing dept.
It's on a need to know basis, my friend.

@John A Roberts Thanks! I never thought I had to download a PDF in order to check such a basic data :LOL: I must say I not only checked the above mentioned website but also other websites as well reviews, and found no mention of the FOV. Which I found quite puzzling. Thanks for shedding some light as usual! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back