• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apps for recording wildlife sightings (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

I'm sure many of us use apps of some sort to record the species they see and hear. I use iNaturalist and BirdTrack mainly, with the former used mainly for IDing species although it serves as a record too.

I've heard of ebird, but is there an exhaustive list of all the different apps out there (or could we put one together?), whether they be for specific taxa eg birds or butterflies or are more generic like iNaturalist? The problem with iNaturalist is that because it's based on photos, it's really not very good if you just want to record what you've seen but don't have a photo.

Well, I use ebird mobile for tracking. I will probably switch to birdlasser, as it's approach fits me better, but will still upload my sightings to ebird, as the website has more info and is nicer in general.
My apps so far are:
  • ebird mobile - for tracking
  • birdlasser - tracking
  • Merlin - bird info, help with identification, sound recognition (only good in Europe and North America), range maps and song/call recordings
  • birdnet - sound identification (much better in Africa where I live, but still a lot of wrong guesses)
  • Birds of Africa (more info than Merlin, better range maps, but worse UI and fewer song recordings),
  • Gobird - more of a frontend to ebird sightings and hotspot, so I don't use it much

Ad then there's inaturalist for anything I can take a picture of, and plantnet for plant identification (though it's not very good for Africa).

IObs and Obsmapp (with observation.org as desktop site) work flawlessly, for all species groups around the world, with exact GPS for every sighting, fast input, offline with easy to use lists...

I think there is only one other app (Igoterra) out there that can pull off the same thing (all species groups, exact coordinates, easy input).

I don't like igoterra because you have to pay for it (unless you stay under 400 observations). That's not citizen science to me, but commerce.
I'll give obsmapp a try.

IObs and Obsmapp (with observation.org as desktop site) work flawlessly, for all species groups around the world, with exact GPS for every sighting, fast input, offline with easy to use lists...

I think there is only one other app (Igoterra) out there that can pull off the same thing (all species groups, exact coordinates, easy input).
Yes, Obsmapp works really well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back