• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these Dusky Myzomela (Honeyeater) from Queensland (1 Viewer)

arthurgrosset

I attach two photos of what I assume are Dusky Myzomela (aka Dusky Honeyeater) taken at Kuranda, Queensland. One shows a pink wash on the forehead and cheek. This is mentioned by HBW but I can't find it mentioned elsewhere. The other photo shows what I assume to be a juvenile with a more swollen yellow gape but the bill looks rather long.
Any comments?

Attachments

• myzobs35245.jpg
    myzobs35245.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 100
  • myzobs35210.jpg
    myzobs35210.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 76
The 2nd pic certainly is Dusky Myzomela, and I guess the first is too.

I think the apparent pale/coldness of the 1st bird is due to photographic effects, and the bill looks short because of the angle. But it does look quite rosy-faced, so maybe it would be good to get another opinion on that one, just in case it's a Scarlet.

EDIT: the more I look at the first bird, the more it looks like a Scarlet actually!

Last edited:
The bill to my eyes looks better for scarlet on the first one, but the one image of a female in the gallery does not fit; it would have to be a young male if it is a Scarlet M.

Niels

Two great photos of Dusky Honeyeater - I wish I'd got anything remotely as good on my recent visit. Where did you get the photos - in the middle of Kuranda or along the Black Mountain Road?

John,

They were both taken in the grounds of Cassowary House, Kuranda.

Thanks Arthur, I wondered if they might have been. The darn things never showed quite so well from the veranda when I was there - perhaps I was too busy tucking into Sue's excellent breakfasts! I got my best views a little way back along the Black Mountain Road by the bridge,

I haven't had much experience with either species (none at all with Dusky), but to me the first picture looks... looks scarletty, but I can't say why...

This is turning into an unexpected toughie!

What about tail length? Looks a point against Scarlet for me.

Any more pics of the first bird at a different angle, even if they're "worse" ?

I don't think this is anything other than a Dusky which can have a 'slight scarlet undertone' (Morcombe). I saw several such birds at Cassowary House during my stay and thought them all Dusky. Scarlet Honeyeater is found in the area (although I'm not sure how often they're seen from the veranda), but are mainly 'winter visitors.' I'll try to check further,

This is turning into an unexpected toughie!

What about tail length? Looks a point against Scarlet for me.

That was the only stickler I could find too. I guess it could just be a young bird which would explain the bill length. I believe that the eastern ssp harterti often has a reddish wash to the face also, esp the juv

Last edited:

I have one other photo of the same bird taken 2 seconds later. The bill looks longer from this angle and the pink wash is less noticeable.
If this is a Scarlet it would be the only one that I saw in north-east Queensland in the course of 4 weeks in Nov/Dec.

Attachments

• myzobs35246.jpg
    myzobs35246.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 64
Just to put a cap on this I've now heard back from Phil (an old friend & owner of Cassowary House where the photo was taken). Having looked at the photo he commented that "The photo is a Dusky Honeyeater, I've never had Scarlet at the house and it's much too dark below for Scarlet; the red around the face is atypical and is what is causing the confusion, I suspect it's actually pollen from some red shrubs we have and this is quite common to get honeyeaters with colourful but strange face patterns as result!"

Thanks for everyone's input on this one.
John, thanks for getting in touch with Phil. He was away on a trip when we visited but we did enjoy the excellent breakfasts that Sue provided as well as the great gen she gave us on the birds.
Interesting Phil's comment about pollen and I'm sure that this is the cause of the pinkish wash. HBW also mentions "some have very faint and diffuse maroon wash on forehead and forecrown (and sometimes very faintly over more of the face, chin and throat)"

To me the first was always a Dusky and not just because I know that Phil has not had Scarlet Honey there. They prefer red flowers so I had assumed it was pollen.

Thanks for everyone's input on this one.
John, thanks for getting in touch with Phil. He was away on a trip when we visited but we did enjoy the excellent breakfasts that Sue provided as well as the great gen she gave us on the birds.
Interesting Phil's comment about pollen and I'm sure that this is the cause of the pinkish wash. HBW also mentions "some have very faint and diffuse maroon wash on forehead and forecrown (and sometimes very faintly over more of the face, chin and throat)"

No problem, Arthur. Phil and I regularly correspond particularly on birds and regarding the fate of the south coast's greatest football team (that's the Saints, Niels ). Typically, such is the demands for his services as a tour guide, Phil was just about to leave for a flight to somewhere exotic when he got my email. It took five years and my retirement before we could schedule a fortnight together! Sue's not a birder, but being married to Phil for a good few years she's picked up a huge amount of good info about sites etc. As for those breakfasts - they're simply a legend!

No problem, Arthur. Phil and I regularly correspond particularly on birds and regarding the fate of the south coast's greatest football team (that's the Saints, Niels ). Typically, such is the demands for his services as a tour guide, Phil was just about to leave for a flight to somewhere exotic when he got my email. It took five years and my retirement before we could schedule a fortnight together! Sue's not a birder, but being married to Phil for a good few years she's picked up a huge amount of good info about sites etc. As for those breakfasts - they're simply a legend!

I think the only appropriate answer is Go PACK Go!

B :) B :) :-O

Niels

PS It it is that kind of football you mean ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back