• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arfak Mountains, West Papua (4 Viewers)

fsmith

I am visiting the Arfak Mountains in West Papua in July with a local guide and I am unsure what temperatures to expect and what kind of clothing to pack. I would be grateful for information from birders who have visited there. Do I need a down jacket? Is a down sleeping bag necessary or is it overkill?

We went in October so maybe slightly different temps.
We needed a jacket early in the morning when we were making our way to the BoP hides and then sitting there before daylight waiting for the birds to show.
We had a lightweight sleeping bags which we did find useful on a couple of nights

In October last year staying at German camp a medium weight non-down sleeping bag was ok. A windy morning on a ridge above Japanese camp needed pullover, fleece, raincoat and woolly hat and it still felt cold, but there were also some sunny days when it was warm.

The temperature changes from punishingly hot and humid lowlands (35oC+) to rainy, misty and coldish Afrak mountains proper (down to 10oC at sunrise when you look for most of the BoPs).

I had a light cotton t-shirt, light outdoor zip-off trousers and a thin raincoat. One elderly person from a twin group had to leave because he was overheating in the lowlands.

In the mountains I supplemented it with a long-sleeved shirt, a light fleece and a wool cap. Fleece is preferable to a light down jacket because of humidity, drizzle, mud and leaky tarpaulin roofs. Normal sleeping bag is sufficient.

Do you go to the alpine zone for the Snow Mountains Quail etc? There, a second fleece, a hat and gloves would be handy.

Rain and mud are frequent, have spare shoes. I use 5 l plastic zip-bags like used for packed lunch to put pieces of clothing when not needed, to prevent them from getting wet, dusty and muddy inside the backpack. 1or 2 large thin trash bags weight nothing but will protect you and your gear from the mud below and leaking tarpaulin roofs above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back