• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Armenia in September ? (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hi,
I plan to visit Armenia for a couple of weeks in the second half of September. I will be with my girlfriend who is not really a birder but still enjoys nature and casually watching birds so the plan is to dedicate a week to birding and a week to sight seeing/relaxing.
I was thinking about renting a car (SUV ?) in Yerevan and explore the Aragats area for a couple of days, then go south to Vedi Gorge for 2-3 days and finally drive east to Lake Sevan then back to Yerevan for a few days.

I have a few questions in mind :
-What are the best options for car rental in Yerevan airport ?
-Is a SUV needed or even 4WD ?
-Will there be a lot of snow on the Aragats area in mid September ?

And most importantly, what birds should I expect this time of the year ? I guess mountain species such as Radde's accentor, Crimson Winged Finch, Twite, Horned Lark, Snowfinch should be possible in the Aragats but what about wheatears (Finsch's, Isabelline and Pied), Scrub Robin, Menetrie's Warbler, buntings ?

Thank you !

I was in Armenia in April. I used Budget car rental in Yerevan. There were a few complications (not all the fault of the company) but the staff were friendly and helpful and the car was good. I hired a Renault Duster. I think the price for this wasn't much more than for a regular car so it's worth doing. The roads in places are a bit rough (e.g. into Vedi Gorge) so high clearance is helpful.

I'm not totally sure what birds will still be around for your visit. Armenia is starting to be well covered on Ebird, so the bar charts will potentially give some guidance:

I think Demoiselle Crane is regular at that time of year, particularly around Lake Sevan. There is a good trip report from early September:

There should be loads of migration going on, particularly raptors and waders. I'd very strongly recommend visiting Armash Fishponds, which is an incredible site. You'll need to make arrangements to go there but this is fairly easily done. Some info on how to do this is in my trip report:

Hi Valentin,
One of our several visits to Armenia was a September one (2019), a mixture of birding and non birding like you are planning, though as you are going to do a longer trip you will surely see more species than we did. You will both love it there I guarantee! I did a write up here on Birdforum:Return to Armenia, Sept 2019

If all goes to plan we will be coming to Corsica next May so perhaps we’ll be asking you for tips next time(y)

We rented a 4x4 for Georgia/Armenia. It wasn't really needed - we took it for a few fun rides just because we had it :) but we would have been fine with a normal car. The sites around Vedi are quite close to main roads - we visited four different valleys and the 4x4 always allowed us to go as deep as we wanted; with a normal car I guess there would be maybe a few kilometers extra walking, with a Duster or something probably less.

I was in Armenia in April. I used Budget car rental in Yerevan. There were a few complications (not all the fault of the company) but the staff were friendly and helpful and the car was good. I hired a Renault Duster. I think the price for this wasn't much more than for a regular car so it's worth doing. The roads in places are a bit rough (e.g. into Vedi Gorge) so high clearance is helpful.

I'm not totally sure what birds will still be around for your visit. Armenia is starting to be well covered on Ebird, so the bar charts will potentially give some guidance:

I think Demoiselle Crane is regular at that time of year, particularly around Lake Sevan. There is a good trip report from early September:

There should be loads of migration going on, particularly raptors and waders. I'd very strongly recommend visiting Armash Fishponds, which is an incredible site. You'll need to make arrangements to go there but this is fairly easily done. Some info on how to do this is in my trip report:
Thanks ! Yes, from what I read in most trip reports, a SUV like Duster should be ok. I will look for this company.

I looked on ebird, there's few checklist around those dates, most are from early September.

I'll keep an eye out for Demoiselle Crane around Sevan, this trip report is indeed very useful !
I will think about Armash, I thought it was more difficult to arrange a visit but apparently not so much.

Hi Valentin,
One of our several visits to Armenia was a September one (2019), a mixture of birding and non birding like you are planning, though as you are going to do a longer trip you will surely see more species than we did. You will both love it there I guarantee! I did a write up here on Birdforum:Return to Armenia, Sept 2019

If all goes to plan we will be coming to Corsica next May so perhaps we’ll be asking you for tips next time(y)
Thanks for your answer, I'll read your report !

Good, May is a great time to visit, especially the first weeks, feel free to ask me for info when you'll need them :)

We rented a 4x4 for Georgia/Armenia. It wasn't really needed - we took it for a few fun rides just because we had it :) but we would have been fine with a normal car. The sites around Vedi are quite close to main roads - we visited four different valleys and the 4x4 always allowed us to go as deep as we wanted; with a normal car I guess there would be maybe a few kilometers extra walking, with a Duster or something probably less.
That's what I read in most trip reports, I guess I'll just rent a SUV to make sure, but no need 4WD. Thanks !

I'm now back from Armenia, I'm not planning to make a full day by day trip report but just some remarks about the trip.

I was there from September 19th to the 30th, much of the early migrants were gone (Bimaculated Lark, RT Scrub Robin, White Throated Robin...) but I still managed to get 11 lifers (Lesser Spotted Eagle, Blue Cheeked Bee Eater, Radde's Accentor, Siberian Stonechat, Finsch's Wheatear, Menetries's Warbler, Mountain Chiffchaff, Eastern and Western Rock Nuthatches, Twite and Common Rosefinch). I saw 116 species in total.

Also 5 lifer reptiles and one mammal lifer :)

I include a checklist of all species observed (lifers in bold).

As I said, it was not a strictly birding trip and we didn't visit Armash or southern Armenia.

The key sites were :

Vedi Gorge

We explored the "Eastern Wadi" (track begins just at the entrance of Dashtakar village). Both Rock Nuthatches (although Western was uncommon) and Finsch's Wheatears were easily found there. No EBE or Isabelline Wheatears , already gone on migration I guess.

Fish ponds near Masis

Very birdy location with White Winged Terns, Pygmy Cormorants, both Bee Eaters...
This waterbody had the most birds 40.036422, 44.404218
The fishponds on the otherside of the road are private so it might no be a good idea to enter without authorization. The owners saw me watching birds from outside and invited us to enter and offered us coffee. Nothing special seen in this private part of the ponds but apparently fields around it are good for both pratincoles (I guess I was just a little late for this).

Mount Aragats

Not much to say about this location that hasn't been said in other trip reports except that most alpine birds were difficult (Horned Lark) or not seen (Crimson Winged Finch, White Winged Snowfinch...), I guess late spring is much better for these !
I had trouble finding Radde's Accentor and had to try several times (much like mentionned in Richard Prior's trip report). Found only one at the beginning of the juniper zone, saw it for about 5 seconds and it disappeared. It was with a group of Rock Buntings.

While coming down from Lake Kari (40.422977, 44.243599), I noticed birds of prey migrating, turns out we had about 200 Steppe Buzzards migrating in a few minutes, some at eye level ! There were a few Marsh Harriers, Black Kites and an eagle sp. (likely LSE) with the Buzzards. One of the highlights of the trip for me !

Lake Sevan

Nothing particular to say, Armenian Gull is very common, Mountain Chiffchaff and Red Breasted Flycatcher are very common in the bushes around the lake.
Note that to enter Norashen Reserve, we had to pay a fee of 6000AMD to park rangers (for both of us, not each).

Victory Park (Yerevan)

Quite birdy park, lots of RB flycatchers, Redstarts, Lesser Whitethroats, Syrian WP...I guess a visit earlier in September or in Spring could be interesting too if you plan to spend a couple of days in Yerevan.

Fields near Yerevan airport

Saw two Menetries's Warblers there (40.156625, 44.404264; 40.156479, 44.398319) also one in another location near Byurakan (40.310330, 44.285667). All were 1cy birds, I guess all adult males are already gone on migration by this time of the year.

A couple "non birding" things are worth mentionning. We felt very safe everywhere and found people generally extremely kind and welcoming (several times in the countryside, people invited us for coffee/tea/vodka/fruits).

The only exception to this rule is Amberd Tavern on the road to Kari Lake (Aragats) : staff non friendly at all, no smiles and they were clearly serving/taking orders of Armenian customers before foreigners, seeing this, I decided to leave the place.

All the guesthouses/hotels were very nice but I want to mention especially Sargsyan Eco House in Tsaghkunk near Sevan : very clean, modern rooms with private bathroom, tasty breakfast with eggs and fruits from the garden, homemade jams...
Vertoni Hotel in Yerevan was also great (also very clean, nice breakfast, nice room...) with an especially kind and friendly lady at the reception/breakfast.

A couple of restaurants that are worth mentionning : Lavash in Yerevan, Glxatun in Tsaghkunk (slightly fancy places, with tasty food and cocktails), Rshtuniq in Ohanavan (great chachlyk, communication a little difficult with the waitress despite my girlfriend being fluent in Russian...but very kind anyways !).

It was a very pleasant trip, I was really impressed by the hospitality of Armenians, the stunning landscapes and the birds of course. I'm actually thinking about going back to Armenia for a Spring visit (late May or early June) to see the species I missed and maybe more reptiles/insects (I photographed some Orthoptera during the trip but still have to ID most of them).

Will post a few pics here once I've sorted everything :)

Attachments

• Armenia_Sept_2023_Checklist.pdf
    320.5 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back