• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aula Verlag's 'Die Stimmen der Vögel Europas', book + DVD (1 Viewer)

All-knowing Idiot
Opus Editor
Poland
Internet prices for the set (book + DVD) range between 39 € and 129 €. I'm trying to get it for a library in Warsaw, PL (it would only be the second such book in the country, as far as I know), but--understandably--I don't want them to overpay. Are there any dedicated German bookshops, in which I can get a good deal?

PS Is the Sound Approach to Birding series still only available either on paper or as an iBook (as indicated on their website)? That's most probably the case, although theit site doesn't seem to have been updated for quite a while.

Internet prices for the set (book + DVD) range between 39 € and 129 €. I'm trying to get it for a library in Warsaw, PL (it would only be the second such book in the country, as far as I know), but--understandably--I don't want them to overpay. Are there any dedicated German bookshops, in which I can get a good deal?

PS Is the Sound Approach to Birding series still only available either on paper or as an iBook (as indicated on their website)? That's most probably the case, although theit site doesn't seem to have been updated for quite a while.
Is this what you're after for the DVD? And this for the Sound Approach?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Wow, it somehow did elude me that the content available online is all of it, and--still--I've never seen it put so nicely together (I somehow thought that web-book = iBook (?!) and didn't expect to get it all for free while it was being sold at their shop as well).

In the first case, though, that's just the DVD, which is indeed cheaper, but I'm also after the book which contains (at least) verbal descriptions of all the different species. Or--now that I've read through the description more thoroughly--are you saying that the DVD itself has all the descriptions and sonograms as well? That would explain why they backed off from selling the book (and, also, the wide range of prices thereof). Thanks again, and silly me!

Hello,

is the book this one? Die Stimmen der Vögel Europas: 474 Vogelporträts mit 914 Rufen und Gesängen auf 2.200 Sonagrammen: 9783891047101 - ZVAB.

Or, ignoring the title of your thread, is this also ok? 9783828930957 - Die Kosmos Vogelstimmen, DVD + Begleitbuch. 100 Vögel, 100 Filme, 100 Stimmen. Singende Vögel schnabelsynchron auf DVD von Hans-heiner Bergmann, Wiltraut Engländer - ZVAB

Please note, that there is a similar older version: Stimmen der Vögel Europas. Gesänge und Rufe von über 400 Vogelarten in mehr als 2000 Sonagrammen: 9783405122775 - ZVAB

For the first one from the AULA-Verlag: a quick internet search says its currently unavailable as new (=propably discontinued). So the prices are surely due to this=collectors item, Liebhaberstück in german.

So you or the library can decide to pay the price (I personally wouldnt, but I can understand when someone cant resist) or consider two other options:
  • wait, until a good deal comes up (as its a german book, you can PM me if they dont sell it to foreign destinations)
  • sometimes, these books are reprinted. For example "Wir bestimmen die Vögel Europas" from Wolfgang Makatsch (although sad to see this classic rarely somewhat lost between countless offers in bookstores, but thats personal again. I have an original with the label that selling is forbidden in West Germany, so I can understand the "collectors item "thing. Or Heiko Bellmanns dragonfly ID book.
But I dont know if the last point is worth considering in this case here.

Hi,

The book + DVD is now out of print and, as Mike said, if you can pick up a second-hand copy for €39 then that is indeed a bargain (I paid more than that for it when bought new!). It was, though, re-issued in 2016 as a DVD-ROM with all the text and recordings included, plus additional recordings. Once installed the recordings can be played by clicking on links or sonograms in the text. Thus, the first version of the DVD contained 487 'species' accounts (note that a number of distinct taxa, some of which are now treated as species have their own account), 1,632 recordings and 1,913 sonograms. This was then replaced in 2017 by version 2.1 which had 500 'species' accounts, 1,713 recordings and 1,962 sonograms and in 2021 by version 3.0 which has 502 'species' accounts, 1,873 recordings and over 2,000 sonograms. This is available from Aula Verlag for €24.95.

Hope this of some use.

Shaun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back