• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aussie Bird Quiz (8 Viewers)

Pitta sp.? - Noisy, perhaps?
Give the man a cigar!:smoke::t:

If you look at a certain 'shape' against the light, you should make out the blue shoulder patch, green back and wings and dark cap. Admittedly, no red is visible in this picture, but it is a Noisy Pitta and, I'm sorry to say, the only shot I got of the bloody thing before it flew off into the forest!

Can you see the bird in question?

I think so?! I couldn't originally, but having a closer look I thought I could see a blue patch and a vaguely pitta-like stance - plus the ground-dwelling clue helped |:D|

I'm sorry to say, the only shot I got of the bloody thing before it flew off into the forest!

Ah, that's a pity. I've also dipped on Noisy Pitta on both my trips to SE QLD - haven't got to Nth QLD yet

Peejay got No.2 with Wilson's Storm-Petrel - well done!

Giant Petrel and young Giant Petrel for No.1 from John and Peejay is incorrect though.

Well - not on a roll anymore!

Are you sure that all the stormies in the picture are Wilson's? Some have got clear white bellies (e.g. 2nd from right), which I didn't think Wilson's had in any plumage? Happy to be corrected though!

Next guess for the first one - White-chinned Petrel

My mistake, I posted a different photo to the one I first selected. This photo does indeed have a few Grey-backs though the majority are Wilson's. well spotted John, and that makes you and Peejay right on that one.

And YES, the second photo is of a White-chinned Petrel. Very well done on that one!!

And YES, the second photo is of a White-chinned Petrel. Very well done on that one!!

Not well done really - I was just running through the common all-dark petrels off Tassie :-O

Maybe time for me to put one up for ID - probably too easy, but anyway....

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 83
I think I should just stick to posting photos for ID rather than taking guesses and embarrasing myself further... |:p|

And on that note - heres another photo...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 99
John - If that was the only photo and glimpse I had of the bird - I'd be too! It's a particularly odd pose! :)

Gavin - Well done - it is indeed an Eastern Spinebill! :clap:

In an effort to keep this thread alive - I'll post another few photos for anyone to have a go at ID'ing. If theres anyone else out there with photos please jump in as I'm fast running out. I would normally delete these kind of shots...

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back