• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumnwatch has been cancelled (1 Viewer)

Damning indictment is the response of the CA, welcoming the decision. My inclination toward conspiracy theories makes me suspect the BBC have been nobbled.

Well of course they have. Not only that but Springwatch is the totally boring one with just new babies to go googoo over. Winterwatch is generally better and more interesting but really the attraction is that people can't go out, it's dark and cold and wet. That's why each has higher audience than Autumnwatch.

Autumnwatch was the change programme: varied, educative, drawing together the threads of land use and transitory animal populations and the human pressure on nature and wildlife nationally and internationally - it's the important one and no wonder CA are pleased it has gone.

John

It’s a real shame as much as I like all three watches I always prefer Autumnwatch the best especially when they show amazing autumn colours but we must think it must cost a lot of money and planning live camera locations and accommodation for the presenters. I wonder if they have cancelled Autumnwatch they might bring Winterwatch forward then January maybe December?

It’s a real shame as much as I like all three watches I always prefer Autumnwatch the best especially when they show amazing autumn colours but we must think it must cost a lot of money and planning live camera locations and accommodation for the presenters. I wonder if they have cancelled Autumnwatch they might bring Winterwatch forward then January maybe December?
Why would they do that? The winter hasn't happened by then, and they need to make the short films (which take a lot more time than they show) as well as the live stuff.

John

I've always thought they could make a series based on the short films they show, including the mindfulness moments, rather than having the live segments.

I believe there's a Planet Earth-scale UK nature series in the works.

But when I heard about Autumnwatch closing down, it also made me wonder whatever happened to Natural World which for me was the BBC's flagship natural history series. Each programme is self-contained about a particular species or habitat and sometimes told a personal story from a presenter's point of view. It was international in scope but included some British episodes too - I'm sure I remember one from Cornwall.

I have always thought there was scope for a Sky at Night style nature programme. Once a month aimed at an interest audience rather than the general public. A mix of what to lookout for that month and some latest research reviews. No need for primetime, tuck it away somewhere, people will watch it on iPlayer.

The BBC seems to be moving away from fixed schedules anyway so within a few years you might not have to wait for a particular time for most recorded programmes.

I remember watching an Iolo Williams series of films about Wales throughout the seasons which were excellent. I then began to wonder about the value of Winter watch and the others. Not sure of the value of presenting from an outdoor location when a significant amount of time is spent on films anyway.
I sometimes wonder if the programmes use an extravagant amount of personnel and facilities.

I do think that SpringWatch in particular is good and important simply for introducing people (especially the young) to the wonders of the natural world.

I also wondered during the last WinterWatch how many different cold weather jackets the presenters owned. Extravagant, or am I getting cynical in my old age? Not to mention that the fashion industry has a poor recycling reputation. I still proudly wear a 51year old woollen overcoat made in Hebden bridge (Happy Valley fame) during it's industrial period. I've christened it Greta for obvious reasons.

I remember watching an Iolo Williams series of films about Wales throughout the seasons which were excellent. I then began to wonder about the value of Winter watch and the others. Not sure of the value of presenting from an outdoor location when a significant amount of time is spent on films anyway.
I sometimes wonder if the programmes use an extravagant amount of personnel and facilities.

I do think that SpringWatch in particular is good and important simply for introducing people (especially the young) to the wonders of the natural world.

I also wondered during the last WinterWatch how many different cold weather jackets the presenters owned. Extravagant, or am I getting cynical in my old age? Not to mention that the fashion industry has a poor recycling reputation. I still proudly wear a 51year old woollen overcoat made in Hebden bridge (Happy Valley fame) during it's industrial period. I've christened it Greta for obvious reasons.

I've always liked 'The Watches' for the sense of community they bring about, that documentary- type nature programmes don't/ can't. The format creates the feeling that the presenters are talking to us directly.

Mind you, I found myself skipping all the Edinburgh bits of the Winterwatch just finished. Everything they highlighted as being special about Edinburgh Glasgow can match or improve upon.

I wonder if the poor viewing is because how it is packed - 4 in a week, when it should be spaced out! It feels ever so hurried. I enjoyed the 8 of Winterwatch but maybe even that could be spaced out more.

I would love more mid-summer watch too.

I wonder if the poor viewing is because how it is packed - 4 in a week, when it should be spaced out! It feels ever so hurried. I enjoyed the 8 of Winterwatch but maybe even that could be spaced out more.

Nobody thinks saturation coverage of the Olympics is odd, I can't see why a concentrated period of watching wildlife wouldn't be appropriate.

What worries me is the move to a new venue: I have a horrible feeling it's going to be Knepp with all its plastics.....

John

People have said in the past they should do a Summerwatch but mostly when Springwatch is on it’s practically in the Summer. I do miss the Unsprungs they used to have. Also they don’t keep the live cameras on for long as they used to.

Nobody thinks saturation coverage of the Olympics is odd, I can't see why a concentrated period of watching wildlife wouldn't be appropriate.

What worries me is the move to a new venue: I have a horrible feeling it's going to be Knepp with all its plastics.....

John

Knepp has been getting a lot of mentions over the last few years.

I want a move to the English Midlands

Knepp has been getting a lot of mentions over the last few years.

I want a move to the English Midlands
I assume you are supporting your local area, but given we are talking about a national programme showcasing wildlife, could you give us a list of say five different animals or animal access unique to the Midlands that would make for engaging programming?

For that matter how would you define the limits of the Midlands, which I must admit I am not entirely clear about: I reckon you depart Southern England at Watford Gap but e.g. here on BF the local patch area includes Gloucestershire in the Midlands, which seems barking to me. Where the Northern limits are I've no idea - I don't feel I'm in the North till Lancashire/Yorkshire.

John

I assume you are supporting your local area, but given we are talking about a national programme showcasing wildlife, could you give us a list of say five different animals or animal access unique to the Midlands that would make for engaging programming?

For that matter how would you define the limits of the Midlands, which I must admit I am not entirely clear about: I reckon you depart Southern England at Watford Gap but e.g. here on BF the local patch area includes Gloucestershire in the Midlands, which seems barking to me. Where the Northern limits are I've no idea - I don't feel I'm in the North till Lancashire/Yorkshire.

John
The region doesn't seem to define easily by county boundaries. Watford Gap is on the same level as Warwickshire towns such as Leamington Spa but being in Northamptonshire it doesn't get covered by the BBC's Midland region news, for instance. Corby, also in Northants is as far north as Birmingham.

I think southern Warwickshire is similar to the South and the northern parts of Derbys.and Notts. are much closer to the North.

John

I'm from Lancashire but I'm sure the Midlands could have something to offer. It doesn't have to be unique but a showcasing off the area. Staffordshire, Shropshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Worcestershire are just some good examples of counties. They all have their surprises and secrets. There is nature there too. It such a poorly represented area.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back