• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ayuthaya Thailand Jan 2023 Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

3 Diferent birds seen in different areas in Ayuthaya , Like to have opinions on those.

The way I see it is 1 and 3 Asian Brown , since they look all plain brown and 2 Red Throated as it seams darker on the tail and has some white below the beak.

Attachments

• _MGC6428fycatcher.jpg
    _MGC6428fycatcher.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • _MGC6886fycatcher2.jpg
    _MGC6886fycatcher2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 28
  • Muscicapa dauurica |Taralhão-castanho ( THAI) .jpg
    Muscicapa dauurica |Taralhão-castanho ( THAI) .jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
All are Taiga. Apart from the white sides to the base of the tail, all three have a smaller head with a small dark bill (broader-based and wedge-shaped on ABF, with a yellow base to the lower mandible) and lack the prominent pale lore and white eye-ring of that species. They're the wrong coloration too - ABF is lighter and greyer above above and cold white below, and would never show the buff-orange wash on the flanks visible in 1 & 2 (also orange on the wing-bend - a feature of 1st-winter birds?). Also note the blackish upper side of the tail in no.2 and especially the black upper-tail coverts, which contrast with the grey rump/lower back. No.2 is also developing an orange throat.

I always think to myself that the Taigas have big eyes. Asian brown looks like a weird Spotted, Taiga (or RBF) looks like a tiny Nightingale.

Thank you Andy , that is a very valuable description , I have see many other flycatchers in this trip and those details will make me more confident to make a correct identification from now on.

Thanks Opisska , good point.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back