• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olive-backed Sunbird in Cambodia - December 2023 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I came back home yesterday, 6 days of bird watching in Cambodia. And I was lucky to get a sound recording of a Slender-billed Vulture. First ever in both eBird and Xeno-canto

Anyway, back in Siem Reap and I went to the botanical garden and there were several Olive-backed Sunbirds, ID by the help of the white feathers in the tail, otherwise I would not have been able to see the difference between the female Brown-throated and the Olive-backed.

Yesterday and I have time to look at my picture and the birds are eating from orange/ yellow flowers so I was taking it for granted that the bill was orange from eating.

Picture 1: Clearly orange from flowers
Picture 2+3: Clearly a yellow gape (FOR ME)

I learned from Butty that a yellow gape is a young bird. And I have had a lot of use for this knowledge so I am very grateful for this.

So the problem, Cambodia is on the Northern Hemisphere so the birds should be breeding April-August. And I see the Olive-backed Sunbirds building nests in June here in Thailand.

The birds mate between the months of April and August in the Northern Hemisphere, and between August and January in the Southern Hemisphere.

So is the bird on picture 2 and 3 a young bird? I believe that a yellow gape for 4 months is too long

Anyone that can say if it is a female or a young bird?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

EDIT: I forgot to put the link to my last post regarding Siem Reap: Olive-backed Sunbird baby - Siem Reap, Cambodia yesterday This was from August 2023

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes, bird in 2-3 has an orange gape, which I take to mean young juvenile. I wouldn't assume much about birds' breeding seasons in the tropics without specific (region + species) and thorough knowledge.

Yes, bird in 2-3 has an orange gape, which I take to mean young juvenile. I wouldn't assume much about birds' breeding seasons in the tropics without specific (region + species) and thorough knowledge.
Thank you!

Is it possible to say for how long (approx) they keep the yellow gape? Breeding in August, is it possible that some birds have their yellow gape in December?

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Thank you!

Is it possible to say for how long (approx) they keep the yellow gape? Breeding in August, is it possible that some birds have their yellow gape in December?

Kind Regards
Aladdin
The information you provide on breeding timing is over-simplified, Olive-backed (aka Ornate) Sunbird can breed pretty much all year round Aladdin, though maybe not in the north of the range. Here, a nest currently with young ML523453221 - Ornate Sunbird - Macaulay Library these birds look quite close to fledging.

Your birds are all 'older' juveniles on account of the bills are dark whereas, younger birds show variable pink base to lower mandible ML422949941 - Ornate Sunbird - Macaulay Library which will gradually darken up. I don't know exactly how long the gape line is visible but would not expect it's too long, maybe a few weeks at most?

Grahame

Last edited:
The information you provide on breeding timing is over-simplified, Olive-backed (aka Ornate) Sunbird can breed pretty much all year round Aladdin, though maybe not in the north of the range. Here, a nest currently with young ML523453221 - Ornate Sunbird - Macaulay Library these birds look quite close to fledging.

Your birds are all 'older' juveniles on account of the bills are dark whereas, younger birds show variable pink base to lower mandible ML422949941 - Ornate Sunbird - Macaulay Library which will gradually darken up. I don't know exactly how long the gape line is visible but would not expect it's too long, maybe a few weeks at most?

Grahame
Thank you Grahame!

I have noticed the difference from here comparing to north Europe. In Northern Europe the birds are almost in the same stage as it is a very short season. And here the season is like you say, pretty much 12 months.

Fascinating to see birds making babies, some sitting on eggs and some are feeding, all during the same day.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back