• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AZ Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

tucansam

20221213_103232.jpg20221213_103210.jpg20221213_103159.jpg

Please forgive image size, I'm trying to give as much visual detail as possible. And please forgive pics, holding heavy binos in one hand and stupid clumsy phone in the other while trying to shoot through the binos!

This little plumper has been hitting my feeder, but rather than going to the tree behind my wall where the rest of the hummingbirds rest, she will rest on the rocks on the ground. Never seen that before. I'm saying she because there's no purple on the face like the internet says males will have.

The google machine says Black-Chinned aka Archilochus alexandri. Super awesome pattern on the face, and glistening metallic green everywhere else. Gorgeous bird. As I type this she continues to hit the feeder and then take a break on the ground in the rocks. Been doing it for 20 minutes now.

Last edited:
Looks like a male Costa’s to me. You don’t always see the iridescence of the feathers.

Thank you! I believe you are correct. Looking up the Costa, and now hearing its beautiful song, I hear that sound in my neighborhood all the time.

I was wondering the same, and I've never seen it either. It was a colder than usual day. Perhaps the rocks were radiating the sun's heat, and he was staying warm?

I was wondering the same, and I've never seen it either. It was a colder than usual day. Perhaps the rocks were radiating the sun's heat, and he was staying warm?
that's probably it...conserving energy. He must have convinced himself that he's safe from predators right there.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back