• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Swallow (1 Viewer)

Takita

Australia
We have noticed a young swallow in our garden who can't fly as it appears his feathers are uneven & he only has one leg. The parents are around & feeding him. We are wondering if the feathers continue to grow at all & can he survive like this. Will the parents leave him to migrate? We first noticed him almost 2 weeks ago on the ground.

Hi Takita and a warm welcome from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Information Wanted forum as I think it will get a wider audience there of people that may be able to advise you. I take it this would be a Welcome Swallow?

Is it possible for you to get a picture of him, so we're better able to judge him. It may be that you'd be better to get professional advice from a vet or a wildlife rescue centre. We have some guidelines for you about baby and injured birds, here. I hope you find them useful.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you. (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Feathers will grow in, but if you're absolutely certain he only has one leg, he may be in for some trouble. It might be worth finding a local wildlife rehabilitator and calling them to ask for an opinion. You may need to bring him to them.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back