• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found baby bat in yard. (2 Viewers)

Jaaada

United States
Hello. Found baby bat while cleaning up yard after a huge storm. Long story short, I have it, I think, comfortable in a box hanging upside down from a stick a put through the box, and per the internets lol, I also have bottle caps one filled with water and the other with milk. I did get him to drink milk a bit which I was happy about. My hope is to somehow find his family, i imagine they’re close by but that’s a guess. I’m reluctant to displace him lest his family is nearby. But then I want to also make sure he survives and if there’s any good home for him I’d be happy to take him. I just haven’t found a place yet. Im in north east Texas. Im worried it’s hot out but I guess they live in Texas so they must survive somehow.

Any feedback is appreciated on best course of action for the little guy. Almost forgot , do I need to feed him by hand or are baby bats capable of finding their food to eat/drink.

Hi Jaaada and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum!

As to the bat, do you have a humane society near you that you could call and ask them about feeding it and possibly taking it in?

This is pretty normal with all baby flying creatures. The parents usually force them out so they can learn to eat on there own and the parents usually feed them on the ground for a couple of days. Please keep us posted as to how it gets on.

Welcome to Birdforum.

The best thing you can do is put him back where you found him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back