• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Google Drive (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
As some of you may remember, I've had problems with my laptop since a recent Windows update screwed some of my settings. I've lost the pictures which were on the hard drive. Fortunately the important ones have already been put into the BF Gallery and are backed up both on flash drives and an ext hard drive.

I temporarily lost my documents and also the email contacts list in Thunderbird, but they've all been recovered now.

My documents were all on Open Office. However, when I tried to download the programme it would get right to the end of the process, then give up and undo all the changes. This happened twice and when my laptop guy tried the same happened to him, so he downloaded LibreOffice, which reads them all OK.

With all these problems I've been reluctant to mess with any settings etc. And basically my laptop seems to be working OK (though today has been going into long thinks for some reason).

Three days ago when I started up I got this message pop up (happened every day since):

Sign in to Google Drive

Sign in with browser

Now, I know that Google Drive is the cloud thingy that MS operate (and you get a little for free). I had it installed a couple of years ago but it drove me nuts when everytime I wanted to delete a shortcut on my desktop it would ask me if I was sure, so I deleted the programme and haven't re-installed it.

So why am I getting this nag screen when GD isn't installed, and what browser are they talking about? I don't want it opening up a different browser to my default one.

I know storing some things in the cloud might be safer, but do I really have to put up with the "are you sure you want to delete this" everytime I get rid of something?

Google Drive is the cloud storage from Google, if you have a Google account, eg GMail then it will come with it. If you have an Android phone chances are you will have a Google account. If you have Chrome installed it can sync everything to you Google account.

The Microsoft cloud storage is called OneDrive, it is integrated into Windows but is not normally that nagging.

The "are you sure you want to delete this" may be unconnected with either. Right click on the Recycle Bin on your Desktop and go to Properties and then see if the "Display delete confirmation" is ticked.

Thanks Mono.

I do have Chrome installed, but hate the browser and only ever use it in emergencies. I have Chrome on my phones and Google Drive on them too. But I don't really use my phones for browsing, except in emergencies.

I do have the waste bin set to ask if I'm sure I want to delete (I empty it every night before I shut down). But GD was asking me when I put anything into the waste bin, and had to agree to each one and sometimes there were a lot if I'd been busy with stuff.

The thing is, I don't have Google Drive installed on my laptop (yet), So can't understand why it's suddenly started asking me to sign in. There's no option on the box to select "don't ask me again". Just the option to open in a browser or close via the cross. So back it comes again the next time I start up.

Hello Delia,

Do you have enough memory, RAM, to run the updated Windows system? I would think that 64GB is required nowadays.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hi Arthur.... I've really no idea about RAM.

I thought I had the latest version of Windows installed when the update screwed some of my settings?

Hello Delia,

RAM, or memory, is part of your hardware; it is not storage, which is on your hard drive, backup and flash drives. RAM allows the computer to complete various actions quickly, or at all. For instance, Photoshop needs a lot of Ram to run. I once did an update on a not so old Mac, to discover that things were not working because of a lack of sufficient RAM.
Somebody else will have to tell you how to find the amount of RAM on your Windows machine. I have not used one in nine years and it was my employer's.

Please note my correction: 8GB is the minimum RAM, nowadays and 16GB is common.

Stay safe,
Arthur

As some of you may remember, I've had problems with my laptop since a recent Windows update screwed some of my settings. I've lost the pictures which were on the hard drive. Fortunately the important ones have already been put into the BF Gallery and are backed up both on flash drives and an ext hard drive.

I temporarily lost my documents and also the email contacts list in Thunderbird, but they've all been recovered now.

My documents were all on Open Office. However, when I tried to download the programme it would get right to the end of the process, then give up and undo all the changes. This happened twice and when my laptop guy tried the same happened to him, so he downloaded LibreOffice, which reads them all OK.

With all these problems I've been reluctant to mess with any settings etc. And basically my laptop seems to be working OK (though today has been going into long thinks for some reason).

Three days ago when I started up I got this message pop up (happened every day since):

Sign in to Google Drive

Sign in with browser

Now, I know that Google Drive is the cloud thingy that MS operate (and you get a little for free). I had it installed a couple of years ago but it drove me nuts when everytime I wanted to delete a shortcut on my desktop it would ask me if I was sure, so I deleted the programme and haven't re-installed it.

So why am I getting this nag screen when GD isn't installed, and what browser are they talking about? I don't want it opening up a different browser to my default one.

I know storing some things in the cloud might be safer, but do I really have to put up with the "are you sure you want to delete this" everytime I get rid of something?
Hi Delia,
I had this problem too recently and managed to fix it but it's a bit complicated. If you have Chrome installed even if you don't use it much that is probably why you have Google Drive. To stop the nagging you need to launch Google Chrome. Somewhere near the top right is a block of nine dots. Click on that an it brings up a list of apps. Click on Drive (its a triangle symbol). Then click on the cogwheel and select settings from the drop-down menu. Now click on Notifications and de-select "Get notifications about Google Drive in your browser". That worked for me!

Hi Antbird.... thanks so much for that. It makes sense now, as I have Chrome installed on my phone (no choice as far as I know I can't/couldn't get rid of it as it's part of the system).

Your message is timely, actually, as on booting up this morning I got the Windows message - Let's finish setting up your system (or words to that effect).

I had stopped the set-up process a while ago, as I wasn't sure I wanted all my devices linked, there's one where you get Premium and I'm not going to pay (can't afford to). Also there's one for One Drive (not sure now what the rest are).

I think I had One Drive on before (is that the coloured triangle thingy). But it irritated me that It asked every time I put something into the bin. I'm told Google Drive is better??

All I'd want it for, maybe, is to safely store my Contacts and some of the more important documents.

Someone posted the other day about wsapps which he thought was causing problems, so I checked my Task Manager to see if I had it (I do.... two of them?). But anyway, I started exploring TM a bit more and discovered that Google Drive had suddenly been put on my Start Up list, so I disabled it and it doesn't nag me on start up any more.

I meant to post back here that I'd sorted it.

So there's two routes to get rid of it, which is handy to know.

Hi Antbird.... thanks so much for that. It makes sense now, as I have Chrome installed on my phone (no choice as far as I know I can't/couldn't get rid of it as it's part of the system).

Your message is timely, actually, as on booting up this morning I got the Windows message - Let's finish setting up your system (or words to that effect).

I had stopped the set-up process a while ago, as I wasn't sure I wanted all my devices linked, there's one where you get Premium and I'm not going to pay (can't afford to). Also there's one for One Drive (not sure now what the rest are).

I think I had One Drive on before (is that the coloured triangle thingy). But it irritated me that It asked every time I put something into the bin. I'm told Google Drive is better??

All I'd want it for, maybe, is to safely store my Contacts and some of the more important documents.

Someone posted the other day about wsapps which he thought was causing problems, so I checked my Task Manager to see if I had it (I do.... two of them?). But anyway, I started exploring TM a bit more and discovered that Google Drive had suddenly been put on my Start Up list, so I disabled it and it doesn't nag me on start up any more.

I meant to post back here that I'd sorted it.

So there's two routes to get rid of it, which is handy to know.
Hi Delia,
You don't need to "Finish setting up your system" if you don't want to. (It's more for microsofts benefit than yours! Everything works fine if you don't. You can turn notifications off in settings and you won't get nagged.

I wouldn't be so quick to reject Google Drive. I use it all the time. I have to at work as our education trust has moved to it more-or-less completely but now I have stopped using Microsoft and have moved all my own stuff to it. It works very well and is free.

Thanks Steve.

I'll maybe pluck up the courage one day LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back