• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltimore Oriole Feeding Question (1 Viewer)

JCO in PA.

United States
I'm looking for some advice from experienced Oriole feeders. I've had the apparently common experience of attracting Orioles with oranges and grape jelly, but only for a week or two, then they disappear. When I look for information about when to switch from sweet foods to proteins (mealworms) the standard line is "in the summer." Wow, that really narrows it down, doesn't it?

So I guess my question is, for all you folks who have success feeding Orioles all season long, is there any kind of schedule you follow? Or do you have any other tips for keeping Orioles around after they first arrive? I live in central Pennsylvania and I usually see my first Oriole a few days plus or minus of May 1st.

Thanks for any help, folks.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be able to help soon.

Baltimore Orioles seem to switch to insects when they start feeding young. If they arrive the beginning of May, allowing for an 11 to 14 day incubation period, they would be feeding young mid May. A week after their arrival you could offer both, then pull your sweet foods once they no longer are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back