• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does feeding Baltimore Orioles mess up their ability to survive on their own ? (1 Viewer)

buckofdurham

United States
Last year I was feeding Baltimore and Orchard Orioles. Once they started nesting. I realized they were staying soI felt obligated to keep the jelly jars full. They were eating three shot glass amounts of jelly a day with some grapes and oranges.

I am in Mid West Indiana. I don't think their are much natural fruits. We do have black berries, cherry trees, persimmon trees, apples even muscidine. Most of which have fruit in the fall. But I have not seen any close to my house. Maybe a few black berries and a small cherry tree.

I am expecting the Orioles to start arriving in a few weeks. If I don't put jelly and fruit out they leave.
This year I am going to NC for a month. Should I hire someone to come over and feed my Orioles whilst I am gone ? (any volunteers) ;)

Perhaps I should notify all my neighbors to pick up the slack whilst I am gone. I am on a lake with really tall hardwoods. It's perfect Oriole habitat.
My question is; Should I continue to feed the Orioles?

I took this pic through my glass window with my phone.
P1000489_Moment.jpg

Feeding birds does not usually mess up a bird's ability to survive. And Baltimore Orioles don't just feed on fruit - they also eat insects and nectar. Your orioles will be fine if you don't feed them for a month.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back