• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bank Swallow ID thoughts (1 Viewer)

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
I've observed Bank Swallows quite a bit this spring and I've noticed some ID points that may be helpful to some.
First of all, the Bank Swallows I've observed were foraging low (3-20 ft above ground), and I've found that the chest band is very difficult to see, even with a view of the underparts. The chest band is the classic Bank Swallow field mark, so here are some other characteristics I found useful for separating from Northern Rough-winged Swallow, the only other brown-backed swallow.

1: Clean white belly. The belly and chest is bright white, like Tree Swallow bright. Northern Rough-winged Swallows do not have a bright white belly, it is much duller.

2: Pale back contrasting with wings. The lower back and rump are contrastingly paler than the wings, a mark that Northern Rough-winged does not show

3: Shape (and size?): The shape of Bank Swallow is quite thin with thin wings and a thin tail, while Northern Rough-winged is much bulkier. Bank is smaller than Northern Rough-winged, and Bank appears small to me, smaller than Barn Swallow. I assume that the small appearance is due to the shape making it appear small, since size is not supposed to be reliable, especially on a flying bird.

4: Dark area on auriculars. From the right angle, a dark bar or line is visible towards the front of the neck, probably the back edge of the auriculars. I've found that the white curling up from the breast onto the neck is not easy to see, but the contrasting dark line is easy to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back