• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl - Male or Female? (1 Viewer)

riggers

My good friend took this amazing photo last week and he wanted to know if it was male or female so I said I would ask the experts on here and let him know. Thank you very much!

5A2EC5DF-6305-4D58-9B71-8F0C11EF79D6.jpeg

Hmm. I ring a few barn owl at the nest where we often encounter both members of a pair, and I'm not at all convinced by spot scoring - I think it needs to be interpreted with caution. It is probably true that pure white birds are male, but most birds I have handled have at least some spots. However, the same individual may change through the years. My doubts started with a female that I caught regularly for about 6 years. She was exceptionally easy to handle. She started with lots of spots (grade 5) but by the end had hardly any spots at all. I'm in Eastern Scotland.

Note- I've never seen a guttata.

Mike.

Did you get any frontal images to see if there are any tiny black dots on it's breast and underwings? If yes, then it is a female. If not and it is more pure white, it would be a male.
My friend sent me this photo which shows a different angle, thanks for your help

Attachments

• 0E4C5BC6-FD12-4125-B1E0-FDB89F3EC94D.jpeg
    0E4C5BC6-FD12-4125-B1E0-FDB89F3EC94D.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 12
Hmm. I ring a few barn owl at the nest where we often encounter both members of a pair, and I'm not at all convinced by spot scoring - I think it needs to be interpreted with caution. It is probably true that pure white birds are male, but most birds I have handled have at least some spots. However, the same individual may change through the years. My doubts started with a female that I caught regularly for about 6 years. She was exceptionally easy to handle. She started with lots of spots (grade 5) but by the end had hardly any spots at all. I'm in Eastern Scotland.

Note- I've never seen a guttata.

Mike.
Thank you, wow, that sounds amazing ringing barn owls, they are beautiful. Here is another photo my friend took. Very interesting about the spots, thanks for the info. I’ve never seen a guttata either 😊

Attachments

• 64792687-9FAC-43DF-A33A-5B119B30C591.jpeg
    64792687-9FAC-43DF-A33A-5B119B30C591.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back