• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl (2 Viewers)

helenol

Whilst looking out of the kitchen window just now, a beautiful barn owl flew down and landed on next doors fence.

I managed to get a photo of it, but with it peeing down, and me only having a small APS camera with an almost nonexistant zoom I'm not sure of the outcome of it! I think it's time to invest in a decent camera with all the great birds appearing at the moment.

What, with a tawny owl the other day, now the barn owl, plus the red kite flying above, my garden area is becoming quite interesting of late!

Regards
Helen

You're not kidding!!! I would love any of those on my garden list. The best I have managed so far is a grey wagtail. Once had a moorhen walking along the top of the fence - most peculiar!!!

James

What a fabulous sight that must have been. it's been twenty years or so since I've seen a Barn Owl (when I was still knee-high to a grasshopper). I think I'll have to pop round for a coffee next time I'm in Bucks (don't put the kettle on just yet though).

E

I was at Freiston Shore at the beginning of February this year (Saturday 1st), and had the pleasure of watching a barn owl flying over the lagoon. As an added bonus whilst driving home west along the A16 towards West Deeping (TF121097 512167, 309765) there was a barn owl skimming along about 4 feet above the roadside ditch.

Not seen once since.

Helen
Which next door was it...?
Was it the ones who had the garden "cleared" ?

I was talking to someone last night who often gets a Barn owl in & over the garden.
Ive got a fly over record from my window, but only a brief view.

S

steviewol said:
Helen
Which next door was it...?
Was it the ones who had the garden "cleared" ?

S

No, this was directly next door.

Update on the garden that was cleared. They found a nest, came and told me. The nest was empty. That was the only one they found. The robin that I wasn't sure was nesting there is nesting in that direction but not in that garden, as they didn't come across the nest, and it was still coming back for mealworms after it had probably eaten everything in sight from the clearance, so a happy ending all round.

How do I edit my post to attach a photo of the owl?

Cheers
Regards
Helen

James said:
You're not kidding!!! I would love any of those on my garden list. The best I have managed so far is a grey wagtail. Once had a moorhen walking along the top of the fence - most peculiar!!!

James

James, I was also lucky enough to have a grey wagtail stay in my garden over winter until March, along with 6 blackcaps.
The wagtail used to go mad for grated cheddar cheese!

Hi Helen,

Just use the "edit" button if you waht to attche it to a post you've already made - you will get the option to "Browse" fro you attachment.

Alternatively, Click "post reply" and you will get the same option to "Browse" to attach the photo to your next reply.

:t:

Thanks birdman

Sorry the pic is of poor quality but it was taken with a small APS camera, and in a hurry before he flew off!

Regards
Helen

Attachments

• barn owl.jpg
    barn owl.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 216
He certainly shows up well against the dark background. Did you plan that?? ha ha... I think your picture is just fine. I would love to see one in my yard. Lucky you.

Thanks for all your lovely replies. I must confess, I was quite reluctant to post the photo at all, given the excellent quality of all the pics on this forum.

I'm getting closer and closer to buying a decent camera! So hopefully if the barn or tawny owl pops up again (or especially the red kite) I may be able to take a half decent photo of it.

Regards
Helen

I'm in the same boat as you Helen. Just longing to be able to take some good pics. I think yuor photo is great, it doesn't have to be a top photo, just good enough to share your sighting with others.
I have a good telescope so am thinking of attempting Digiscoping if I can manage to get a good digital camera. Then i will be in for a lot of experiments and probably dissapointments too.

Nancy

The photo is wonderful. The darkness of the fence,the whiteness of the Owl, it is picturesque and quaint. Thanks for sharing:)

What a super photo Helen! I'm lucky enough to have a barn owl hunting in my hay field. I watched it for about an hour the other evening. I took several photos but all are very distant. This was my best shot! It was hovering ready to drop on its prey.

Attachments

• barn owl8.jpg
    barn owl8.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 166
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back