• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barnacle Goose or Hybrid (NE Scotland, October) (1 Viewer)

Teamscotch

I'm curious if this goose which spent some days locally at Donmouth Aberdeen is considered within the variation of pure Barnacle or not, or if a hybrid with e.g. Cackling Goose should be considered?

It looked very much like a Barnacle to me but the eyestripe is far more prominent then I can recall seeing before. Thanks for any thoughts...

Attachments

• DSC00717.JPG
    DSC00717.JPG
    13.1 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC00718.JPG
    DSC00718.JPG
    12.4 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC00716.JPG
    DSC00716.JPG
    14.2 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC00720.JPG
    DSC00720.JPG
    13.5 MB · Views: 61
Thanks both, that seems to be the consensus of opinion elsewhere too. That's my view too btw. It's presumably at the extreme end of variation - I haven't found an internet picture of a pure bird that matches the head pattern of this one yet but it is matched by pictures of obvious hybrids. It maybe would have been more fun, but meaner if I had just posted this view!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-091921.png
    Screenshot_20231008-091921.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Hello,
interesting bird! Tfs!

Although I havent found an image during a quick search too, I have seen a handful of similar Barnacles and had similar thoghts:
  • they had a head pattern vaguely reminiscent of a Canada Goose
  • although variable, the upperparts seemed to be darker and more contrastingly patterned
And like you I considered influnce from a Canada Goose (including closely related forms) but because I have seen a few now, I think its just varaition?

I hope for more comments. Thanks!

To me this looks like Banacle goose in all other respects, so this could well be a barnacle goose at the extreme dark end of variation.

Canada x barnacle or cackling x barnacle or backcrosses of such birds to barnacle goose can show a similar head pattern , but in such hybrids other features are also changed ...

Like in these birds:

But if there are enough generations back, a bird may show only one trait that could hint to a hybrid.... however this could not be proven by photos alone....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back