• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basra reed warbler voice ?? Jahra east outfalls , Kuwait (1 Viewer)

bassel

Good evening to all

Two days back went birding at Jahra east outfalls and recorded these sound clips of what I believe a Basra reed warbler . I have heard and seen Basra reed warbler last year in Mozambique and the sound is pretty similar . I am far from convinced this might be a great reed warbler since it lacks the harsh tones . In case it is a Basra reed , the question is why it is singing at this time ?? shouldn't Basra reed warblers by this time had left their breeding grounds and on their passage to wintering grounds ?? or this individual might be leaving late and thus singing prior to departure ??

Help and info are much appreciated

Attachments

• New Recording 6.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • New Recording 7.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • New Recording 8.mp3
    884.9 KB · Views: 14
I agree it is a Basra Reed Warbler song.

I think they may sing during autumn migration, I'm trying to put a reference to this fact? also, there is a sever drought in many places the Iraqi marshes, the core breeding grounds for the species, majority evacuated in late August/early September, reed beds are now wiped out due to lack of water and I believe similar habitats in Iran and Kuwait become alternative staging grounds prior migration toward Kenya, also I'm trying to put a reference to this fact as well.

Omar

Omar,

Could you please listen to the following recordings and tell me whether you have ever heard Basra reed warbler giving similar calls?
The 2 recordings are of the same bird, recorded in Tanzania on the 1st and 2nd of July.
A bit more details here on the thread I started on Surfbirds (did get much feedback over there...): http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?14058-Palearctic-warbler-sound-from-Tanzania

Thanks in advance (and sorry Bassel for hijacking your thread!!)

Attachments

• LS_32265.mp3
    238.4 KB · Views: 32
  • LS_32313 bis.mp3
    395.9 KB · Views: 37
Omar,

Could you please listen to the following recordings and tell me whether you have ever heard Basra reed warbler giving similar calls?
The 2 recordings are of the same bird, recorded in Tanzania on the 1st and 2nd of July.
A bit more details here on the thread I started on Surfbirds (did get much feedback over there...): http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?14058-Palearctic-warbler-sound-from-Tanzania

Thanks in advance (and sorry Bassel for hijacking your thread!!)

Hello Tib,

Yes, I do hear such "kik or Krik" calls, however, calls are quite different in harshness and rhythm in our breeding grounds; but if you like, I have many records of BRW just recorded recently in the Iraqi marshes, if you want to compare them, just send me a PM with your contact info.

Omar

Also, even in the breeding grounds, BRW are so shy and cryptic, and from your description, they don't give themselves to eyesight when they being inside the reedbed, similarly to what you've described with your bird.

Omar

Thanks to Omar and Tib for confirming. They are very shy indeed here in Kuwait , but I took cracking photos early this year in Mozambique

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back