• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bassenthwaite Osprey Watch 2012 (1 Viewer)

The satellite transmitter has been tracking 13's explorations from the nest, since he fledged on 16th July. He's flying closer to the edge of the lake, but hasn't yet taken his first dip. See the 2 maps on the Facebook feed.

It's hard to believe that he'll be on his way to West Africa in 3 weeks or so......

Posted on the Facebook feed - no 13 has been venturing further afield and flew down to Derwentwater on 15th August. A trip of 7 miles. Does he know that he'll soon be leaving on a 3000 mile journey to West Africa?!?!

Posted on the Facebook feed - no 13 has been venturing further afield and flew down to Derwentwater on 15th August. A trip of 7 miles. Does he know that he'll soon be leaving on a 3000 mile journey to West Africa?!?!

To me this is a miracle! How do these young birds know when and where to go?

I have the huge Migration Atlas and when I see the migration routes taken by our birds, I'm filled with wonder!

"Lucky" 13, as he is sometimes called, left Bassenthwaite early on Sunday morning - 26th August. His mother did not leave before him, as in previous years. I hope he has a safe journey to West Africa. It amazes me that a young bird like this can find his way!

It has taken him 3 days to fly down to the south coast of England, where he was last reported at 2pm on Wed, 29th August, somewhere between Eastbourne and Hastings, presumably preparing for his Channel crossing. The satellite tracking shows that he flew right over London and spent the night of the 28th near Chartwell.

Information and satellite maps are being posted on the Flickr diary and the Facebook feed.

This year's Osprey Watch will end on Sunday, 2nd September. After this there will be no staff and volunteers at the viewpoints on Dodd, or at the exhibition in the Whinlatter Visitor Centre. The Visitor Centre is open all year though.

Good luck to Lucky 13- I hope he makes it and has a good winter.

It's always sad to see the Ospreys depart. I spent a very happy few hours at Whinlatter visitors centre in late May.

More news on Lucky 13's progress. He crossed the English Channel on the morning of Thursday, 30th August and stopped to roost for the night, just north of Paris.

Et voilà, un balbuzard à Paris!! Nous souhaitons un bon vol pour Lucky!!:t:

How's your Spanish, June? He was last reported on Saturday, 1st of September at 7pm, north of Valencia on Spain's Mediterranean coast. I wonder if he'll follow the coast and cross into Africa at Gibraltar.

From Paris he flew south, roosting for the night of 31st August, south of Toulouse, near the Pyrenees. On 1st September he entered Spain, kept west of Barcelona and stopped for 3 hours at the Ebro Delta on the coast. I guess he must have been fishing!

The Osprey team seem to be taking a couple of days to get the satellite maps posted on the Flickr Daily Diary: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatch

How's your Spanish, June? He was last reported on Saturday, 1st of September at 7pm, north of Valencia on Spain's Mediterranean coast. I wonder if he'll follow the coast and cross into Africa at Gibraltar.

From Paris he flew south, roosting for the night of 31st August, south of Toulouse, near the Pyrenees. On 1st September he entered Spain, kept west of Barcelona and stopped for 3 hours at the Ebro Delta on the coast. I guess he must have been fishing!

The Osprey team seem to be taking a couple of days to get the satellite maps posted on the Flickr Daily Diary: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatch

The tranmitter will be programmed to transmit on a certain schedule. It will probably be either every two or three days just now.

The Loch Garten transmitters are on a three day cycle while Ceulan from Dyfi is on a two day cycle just now.

I think that lucky could strike south at any point.

The tranmitter will be programmed to transmit on a certain schedule. It will probably be either every two or three days just now.

The Loch Garten transmitters are on a three day cycle while Ceulan from Dyfi is on a two day cycle just now.

Here is an amazing audio by Roy Dennis talking about the incredible flight of Nimrod in 2008

My Spanish - non-existent. I'm a dedicated francophile, Helen. It was in the Périgord and the Auvergne where I first saw red and black kites, beginning an eight-year love affair with these majestic birds.
Yes, kites and ospreys are a meaningful part of my life; the kites all year round now that we have our re-introduced population and the delight of the ospreys as they return each spring!

Last edited:

Here is an amazing audio by Roy Dennis talking about the incredible flight of Nimrod in 2008

Thanks for the info and the link to the audio, Tiger. I will keep checking the Bassenthwaite Daily Diary for updates.

Thanks for the info and the link to the audio, Tiger. I will keep checking the Bassenthwaite Daily Diary for updates.

News of Ceulan is already in and he is safe. For some reason Dyfi are always faster than expected with the updates.

Disturbing news about White 13

Some disturbing news from Bassenthwaite. Over the last 10 days there has been great concern over the lack of movement from White 13. The transmitter has been sending sporadic signals from a mountainous area south of Valencia in Spain and the most recent have been from the same position, so the Osprey Team fear the worst. They have posted the latest map, with comments, on the Flickr Daily Diary:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatch/

Some disturbing news from Bassenthwaite. Over the last 10 days there has been great concern over the lack of movement from White 13. The transmitter has been sending sporadic signals from a mountainous area south of Valencia in Spain and the most recent have been from the same position, so the Osprey Team fear the worst. They have posted the latest map, with comments, on the Flickr Daily Diary:

One has to be realistic even though it is not the outcome the Bassenthwaite team would wish. Are ospreys targeted at all on their migration by the shooting fraternity?

We live in hope of at least finding out just why the contact has been lost at this time and in this particular region.

I have had a contact from someone in Spain suggesting that they might go out there to have a look. They were asking how to get in touch with Bassenthwaite and I passed on some contact details.

I have had a contact from someone in Spain suggesting that they might go out there to have a look. They were asking how to get in touch with Bassenthwaite and I passed on some contact details.

Thanks, Tiger. It will be really interesting to find out what might have happened, if someone can get to the last known signal spot.

There's a comment on the Facebook feed from LDOP at Bassenthwaite, saying they are trying to make contact with local ornithologists in Spain, to go and search the area.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tiger. It will be really interesting to find out what might have happened, if someone can get to the last known signal spot.

There's a comment on the Facebook feed from LDOP at Bassenthwaite, saying they are trying to make contact with local ornithologists in Spain, to go and search the area.

I have sent you a PM, Helen, from an Open University contact who knows people not far from this designated area.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back