• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bat Falcon scientific name (1 Viewer)

mb1848

I was looking at the 2023 D AOS proposals. Bat Falcon is currently called Falco rubigularis .

Latham A General Synopsis of Birds 1781

Orange -breasted Falcon.

v.1:pt.1 (1781) - A general synopsis of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Latham Supplement to Gen Syn, Birds 1788

ORANGE-BREASTED HOBBY.

Orange-breasted Hobby, Gen. Syn. i, p. loj. N" gi.

I HAVE met with two of these birds, which I suspect to be males

Both the above came from Cayenne.

Supplement to the General synopsis of birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Falco aurantius Gmelin 1789 citing Latham Orange-breasted Falcon.

v. 1, pt. 1 - Caroli a Linné ... Systema naturae per regna tria naturae - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Latham uses F. aurantis for this bird in 1790.

v.1 (1790) - Index ornithologicus, sive, Systema ornithologiae - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Daudin 1800 lists two forms as mentioned by Latham in 1788. He called alpha Falco albigularia and beta Falco rubigularis.

Note. These two varieties, described by Latham in the supplement to his Synopsis of Birds, p. 28 and 29, are perhaps be mere differences in age or sex

t.2 (1800) - Traité élémentaire et complet d'ornithologie, ou, Histoire naturelle des oiseaux - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

Ernst Hartert in Nov. Zool v. 9 (1902) says “Although Falco albigularis stands first in Daudin’s work, it seems best to accept the name rufigularis, as the description of the latter is much better and clearer.” So, he is a first revisor and picks rufigularis. But Falco aurantius Gmelin 1789 is the oldest scientific name. Why is it not used for the Bat Falcon? Well because it was used by Forster in 1781 for this bird from Bengal.

Part III & IV - A natural history of uncommon birds - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Falc/falc00099a.jpg .

So Daudin’s name as picked by Hartert is the name? Is that a good enough reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back