• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bay of Biscay (1 Viewer)

Morning All,
Wind currently, 10Knts, E-ESE.
This am we had around 60 odd birds circling us prior to sun up, mostly Wagtails and Skylark, I did hear Goldcrest also. On deck we have our residents plus Common Redstart.
When my duties allow I'll go for a wander out on deck, there's nothing like birdwatching wearing a hard hat, safety glasses, bright orange overalls, gloves and heavy boots!
Cheerz

Morning All,
Wind currently, 10Knts, E-ESE.
This am we had around 60 odd birds circling us prior to sun up, mostly Wagtails and Skylark, I did hear Goldcrest also. On deck we have our residents plus Common Redstart.
When my duties allow I'll go for a wander out on deck, there's nothing like birdwatching wearing a hard hat, safety glasses, bright orange overalls, gloves and heavy boots!
Cheerz

Great stuff!....sounds like you could be sartorially speaking, setting new trends. "Hi Vis Gear" might become "de rigour" for future twitches. ;)

Morning All,
Well were underway for a short port call in France before returning to our previous location.
Fingers crossed for our 'residents' they're going to wake up in sight of land.
Nothing new to add to yesterdays sightings except a single Auk (sp) heading East
More soonest
Cheerz

What is the duration of your deployment in the Bay Offman?

My interest in your situation is based on my own monitoring of the Canary Wharf complex of buildings, between 2000-20005 (when the lights were run dusk till dawn).

Clear skies in Spring and Autumn could produce conservative estimate c40 migrant passerines either side of Citi tower (c100 birds). Of the totals monitored during the said period, c50 percent (species only..not volume) were uncommon to scarce locally and nationally.

Thus it would be interesting (if your deployment is a long one to compare).

Cheers and "Happy Hunting"

Morning All,
Were back, but have moved slightly inshore, 47.04, -4.95 for Google maps, the water depth has risen from 3000 metres up to 100 metres.
Sneaked out for a quick look when it was dark and we had a few dolphins feeding on fish attracted to our lights, and now the light is coming up we have plenty of gulls along with the odd Manx Shearwater.
Will try later for a better look and id's
Cheerz

Bonjour Offman, Did your 'residents' jump ship when you called into port (swapping your soggy biscuits for some fresh croissants perhaps?)?

Cheers

Richard

Just had a quick 10 mins on the bridge wing.
Circa 500+ Manx Shearwater now hanging around, along with 2-300 gulls, mostly juv LBBG, and juv Herring Gull.
Single juv Kittiwake, single Great Skua, and 2 or 3 Sooty Shearwater.

2 Chaffinches decided to remain on board despite our port call in Brest, and a single dead Skylark found on bridge wing.
Cheerz

Hi,
The whole flock of Manxies is now off our stern and up sun, so very difficult to watch.
The seas aren't helping either, 20 Knts from the ESE, with 1-2 m waves and I'm meant to be working.

We now have 5 Chaffinch and a Blackbird on board.
Cheerz

Well,
Aren't I the plonker
The raft of birds came pretty close, finally, and the all their tails have a white band in them.
So I can now tick Great Shearwater. Its a lifer for me.
Theres no sign of any darker birds now, there was one or two earlier today.

Cheerz

Morning All,
Wind Easterly, 15 Knts, Calm (ish) seas.
Approximately 300 birds circling us, Redwing, Song Thrush, Skylark, Goldcrest, Common Redstart, Wagtails and at least 6 SE Owls, does qualify as a parliament ?
We'll see what's left on-board after the sun is up later.
Cheerz

Morning All,
Approximately 300 birds circling us, Redwing, Song Thrush, Skylark, Goldcrest, Common Redstart, Wagtails and at least 6 SE Owls, does qualify as a parliament ?
Cheerz

Morning Offmann,
I don't know if 6 S-e Owls is a parliament, sounds more like an assassination squad to me, hopefully there'll be more than just owl pellets left on board after dawn breaks!

Well done on your Great Shearwaters, they're smart lookers aren't they!

Richard

Morning All,
Cheerz

An amazing start to the day....almost wish I was there!

Cheers

Just back from a tour of the back deck.
We also have Black Redstart, Starling, Blackcap and Chiff Chaff on-board. Another dead Skylark, and 2 of the SE Owls have decided to remain, too full to fly ?
The Great Shearwaters are still flying by, and a flock of mixed Gulls are roosting alongside us. It would appear that they all spent the night feasting around us, I guess eating fish attracted to our lights, along with a small school of Dolphins, I have no idea what they were. They appeared not to have any distinctive marks.
Cheerz

It must get pretty choppy out there Offman, i often use Brittany Ferries and the Santander route is nearly always delayed due to the weather. Happily i'm always on the less rough Portsmouth to Caen crossing!

This may sound like a daft question, but do the birds you find hitch a lift on other ships in the area?

Morning All,
Were underway back to Holland for a few weeks and I'm away home. There's a chance we'll be back but that's not confirmed yet. The vessel is blacked out except for our running lights and there's nothing outside.
I'll have a look later to see if our resident gang of Chaffinch are still on board as well as the Owls.
In reply to Christine, I couldn't really say, I often wonder if some of the USA rarities that make it over have hitched a lift, I seem to remember an article from years ago regarding Liverpool Docks and rarities.
Cheerz

Morning to you All
Well were back again, were stationary in position 46.2611, -5.5147, over a 4500 metre contour, arriving at 23:00 local
Its still dark, funnily enough, but nothing around at the moment.
I have no idea what to expect this trip, so we shall see...
cheerz

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back