• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bees in hummingbird feeder (1 Viewer)

DougL

United States
So my hummer-feeder has been "found" by bees. Rather odd in that the yellow thing they're clustering on is sold as a "bee guard". I like having bees around (I'm a vegetable gardener), but it would be nice to discourage them from sitting there. How do I do that?

IMG_0489.JPG

Is it possible that there is some sugar solution on the bee guard? I would wash the feeder, and be careful to keep the bee guards clean. If there is nothing there for the bees to eat, they should move on.

Yes, but there are four identical ports, and the bees cluster on one. Not clear why that one port would be leaking sugar solution if the others aren't. Next fill cycle I will take some trouble to inspect. Thanks.

I have a similar problem! But I have bees actually inside my feeder. I was changing my nectar today, and two bees were still swimming around the nectar. I managed to get them out, but I’m not sure how they’re even getting in there. This is my feeder. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Spray PAM on the openings. Keeps wasps away, but not Hummingbirds (or Baltimore Orioles). Been doing that for years. Learned that trick in Costa Rica.

Spray PAM on the openings. Keeps wasps away, but not Hummingbirds (or Baltimore Orioles). Been doing that for years. Learned that trick in Costa Rica.
What is PAM, doesn't sound very friendly for pollinators and the environment. Is it like DEET?
And I'm sure many insects are attracted to yellow, and settle on whatever it is.......colour of many types of pollens?

I'd rather have a few pesky bees around, moreso if I was a gardener.

I have a similar problem! But I have bees actually inside my feeder. I was changing my nectar today, and two bees were still swimming around the nectar. I managed to get them out, but I’m not sure how they’re even getting in there. This is my feeder. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Sorry about the slow response, but am puzzled.
I assume the nectar feed to the port is just a tube, maybe 1/16" in diameter. That is definitely too small for bees to wiggle through, plus they really don't swim eagerly.
That suggests the bees slipped in via the top of the feeder. Having recently seen a video of bees taking a screw cap off a bottle, I'm now not surprised at their ingenuity.

Sorry about the slow response, but am puzzled.
I assume the nectar feed to the port is just a tube, maybe 1/16" in diameter. That is definitely too small for bees to wiggle through, plus they really don't swim eagerly.
That suggests the bees slipped in via the top of the feeder. Having recently seen a video of bees taking a screw cap off a bottle, I'm now not surprised at their ingenuity.
They are able to wiggle in the holes. At the end of our season here in Massachusetts, I opened the feeder and there were about 15 bees inside, swimming (well, drowning, really). The rest of the feeder is closed tight. We don’t have any hummingbirds right now, so the feeder isn’t out. But I can try the Pam vegetable cooking spray to see if that helps. I was so startled the first time I opened it and found them in there - especially since I was in my kitchen! Now I know better and open it in the yard before bringing it in for cleaning.

They are able to wiggle in the holes. At the end of our season here in Massachusetts, I opened the feeder and there were about 15 bees inside, swimming (well, drowning, really). The rest of the feeder is closed tight. We don’t have any hummingbirds right now, so the feeder isn’t out. But I can try the Pam vegetable cooking spray to see if that helps. I was so startled the first time I opened it and found them in there - especially since I was in my kitchen! Now I know better and open it in the yard before bringing it in for cleaning.
Just wow! I'd thought that bees could not possibly get through the feed tubes, but guess I underestimated them.

Just wow! I'd thought that bees could not possibly get through the feed tubes, but guess I underestimated them.
They’re crafty little guys! I didn’t think so either, I was shocked when I found them in my sink. I may have squeaked and threw the feeder bowl in the drain. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back