• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Belize/Guatemala/Honduras - March (2 Viewers)

Trystan

Hi,

I am currently trying to sort a trip the 3 countries mentioned. Fully guided with most focus on the birds in Guatemala. and a few extras elsewhere. There will be opportunity to do a border crossing for El Salvador for a country tick, and the trip is scheduled to start on 18th March for 15 days.

We are currently 2 people and ideally looking for two more to join to bring the price down.

Please contact me if interested for the itinerary and cost.

Cheers,

Robert

Hi,

I am currently trying to sort a trip the 3 countries mentioned. Fully guided with most focus on the birds in Guatemala. and a few extras elsewhere. There will be opportunity to do a border crossing for El Salvador for a country tick, and the trip is scheduled to start on 18th March for 15 days.

We are currently 2 people and ideally looking for two more to join to bring the price down.

Please contact me if interested for the itinerary and cost.

Cheers,

Robert
Hi Robert,
Please let me know your itinerary and prospective cost.
Thanks,
Dexter Hunneman

I think you'd have more chance had you advertised earlier, sounds like a good trip but appears rushed?

I know that not everyone is lucky enough to be able to do it but you could easily take a month over this trip and that would just be in Belize!

I think you'd have more chance had you advertised earlier, sounds like a good trip but appears rushed?

I know that not everyone is lucky enough to be able to do it but you could easily take a month over this trip and that would just be in Belize!

Indeed, work restrictions mean this is about the maximum I can do, though in fact, due to not getting much interest early on, we have postponed and hope to run this at a similar time next year so anyone who would be interested for March/April 25 let me know.

Cheers,

Robert

. There will be opportunity to do a border crossing for El Salvador for a country tick
I did this many years ago and the bus was hijacked less than an hour into the country ๐Ÿ™‚

When they released the bus, I and the only other westerner onboard were ordered off and taken away into bushland. Fortunately after some discussion, we were allowed to go and then had to hitchhike to San Salvador. An American taken off the same bus route a little earlier was not so lucky.

I did this many years ago and the bus was hijacked less than an hour into the country ๐Ÿ™‚

When they released the bus, I and the only other westerner onboard were ordered off and taken away into bushland. Fortunately after some discussion, we were allowed to go and then had to hitchhike to San Salvador. An American taken off the same bus route a little earlier was not so lucky.
El Salvador is a lot safer now than it was a few years ago. The current government has been locking up all the gang members, raising a lot of discussion about human rights, but undoubtedly having a huge effect on crime. I was there in the summer and it was unrecognisable from previous visits over the past 24 years. Unfortunately, surrounding countries still have serious gang crime - though they are all talking about what has happened in El Salvador and wondering if they could follow suit. The birding in northern Central America is fabulous, with a lot still to be discovered, so I hope you manage to make it next year Robert.

Tom

El Salvador is a lot safer now than it was a few years ago. The current government has been locking up all the gang members, raising a lot of discussion about human rights, but undoubtedly having a huge effect on crime. I was there in the summer and it was unrecognisable from previous visits over the past 24 years. Unfortunately, surrounding countries still have serious gang crime - though they are all talking about what has happened in El Salvador and wondering if they could follow suit. The birding in northern Central America is fabulous, with a lot still to be discovered, so I hope you manage to make it next year Robert.

Tom
Yes, agree. I should have clarified that I would not hesitate to visit again today ๐Ÿ‘

Two abiding memories of El Salvador
1. Entry; one of the stewardesses went around the plane handing out cloakroom tickets; when you collected your luggage it would be selected for customs search
If you had a โ€œwinningโ€ ticket.
2. Had great views of Lesser Roadrunner but canโ€™t remember where!

I'm interested in the trip (next year!) Robert if you could share details and cost estimates,

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back