• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird guides by region...North America (1 Viewer)

There is a new edition of the National Geographic Guide, and a completely new guide that Steve Howell was involved with but which I think has different authors now, but I am blanking on them. However both are years away I think.
That would be Steve Howell, Michael O'Brien, Chris Wood and Brian Sullivan, with illustrations by Ian Lewington and Lorenzo Starnini. Should be a great one!

If there is a newer edition of the Nat Geo guide than the 7th (2017) I missed it. And I can't find any reference to a newer guide at (for example) Amazon
I mentioned that they are both years away from being released. It is however being worked on.

That would be Steve Howell, Michael O'Brien, Chris Wood and Brian Sullivan, with illustrations by Ian Lewington and Lorenzo Starnini. Should be a great one!
Thanks for clarifying. I am excited about this one, but somehow my mind always blanks on the other folks beyond Howell.

Ian Paulson of the Bird Booker Report (THE BIRDBOOKER REPORT) had some updates relevant to NA guides on his facebook page.

First, Ian got ahold of some sample pages for the next edition of the Nat Geo guide, which is being taken over by Ted Floyd. Ian posted the page for Whistling-ducks, which are now moved to the front. The page displayed showed that each species text entry is subdivided into a general intro, followed by Appearance, Vocalizations, and Population sections. Birding codes are now included for each species. The "range" section for each entry is gone, presumably due to redundancy with the range maps. Also included on this page was a general explanation of why Whistling ducks are moved to the front of ducks. Overall the text seems more casual and less concise than the original, which has me somewhat concerned on space issues. Nat Geo is already a beast, and if fewer bird entries are present on each page that will either mean a longer book or perhaps removal of the ultra rare vagrants, which this is the only book to actually include.

Secondly, he reports the upcoming Lewington illustrated Princeton field guide still doesn't have a release date, but that Lewington is "almost done" with the artwork and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Since the guide has been in progress for 15 years I sort of assume the text is already done or mostly done, and the art was holding things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back