• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Birds Seen On Your Birthday (1 Viewer)

Conwy Birder

A simple question that arose during a conversation with a nature-friend earlier - what is the best bird or birds you have seen on your birthday?

For me the 10th June it was a very spotty Spotted Sandpiper in the lake district in 2017 whilst on a walking weekend break with my partner.

2020: Steller's Eagle - Hokkaido, Japan; with supporting cast of White-tailed Eagle, Red-crowned Crane, Slaty-backed Gull, Asian Rosy Finch & Black Scoter (amongst others).

Only have one checklist for my birthday so far, middle of fall migration in a city park in Miami, amongst the dozens of migrants in a tiny park, the clear winner for me was a Worm-eating Warbler, with a supporting warbler cast of Black-and-white, Cape May, Black-throated Blue, Palm, Yellow-throated, American Redstart and Northern Parula.

In a UK context, nothing of note, although various a day or two either side, including non spotty Spotted Sandpiper, Ross's Gull, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Sardinian Warbler, Pied-billed Grebe and the very first accepted Lesser Scaup at Chasewater (God, that dates me though, don't it).

Abroad, ticked Common Black Hawk, American Pygmy Kingfisher, Hooded Oriole, Wilson's Plover & Mangrove Warbler all on the same birthday in Belize (39th I think).

Steller's Sea Eagle will be a tough one to beat!!

Competition is over, no chance of beating this line up 👍
Well... I wouldn't want to exchange that day in Hokkaido with the my 35th birthday: 28 species with Pesquet's Parrot and Palm Cockatoo as absolute crackers. I only ever saw Red-breasted Pygmy Parrot, Doria's Goshawk, Pygmy Eagle and White-eared Bronze-Cuckoo that day.

My only other birthday with lifers just had seven: Rusty-tinged Antpitta, Brown Tinamou, Spotted Rail, Chestnut-eared Aracari, Barred Parakeet, Black-fronted Nunbird and the day's major target (well for my companions!) Varzea Thrush.

Black Winged Stilts at Potteric Carr this year which could have been trumped by the Stilt Sandpiper at Alkborough but the latter was a no show!

Locally, a Bittern was a big bird. No reedbeds, upland area, found at a lodge.

Until 2008 I'd never had a tick on my birthday, so when on Sunday 6th January a White-crowned Sparrow turned up at Cley I clenched my teeth for twenty-four hours and took a day off on the Tuesday.... fingers well and truly crossed.

It was still there. Birthday tick!

In 2020 I was in the Gambia on my birthday and kicked off with Piapiac, followed by: Black-billed Wood Dove, Yellow-billed Shrike, Violet Turaco, Bearded Barbet, Mottled Spinetail, Snowy-crowned Robin Chat, both Lavender and Black-billed Waxbills, Long-tailed Nightjar, Standard-winged Nightjar (with standards!), Greyish Eagle Owl, Little Greenbul, Western Bluebill, Green-headed Sunbird, Grey-headed Bristlebill, Red-bellied Paradise Flycatcher, Brown and Blackcap Babblers.

Back at the hotel we bumped into Britseye and Spider and partied quite long into the night. Great birthday!

Cheers

John

In recent years I've usually tried to get out birding on my birthday; Twite tops the list for good bird seen more than once, with Chough and Hen Harrier tied for best birds overall - the latter two both on the same occasion.

Arranged to be in Savegre in Costa Rica on a big birthday and caught up with Resplendent Quetzal, Red-headed Barbet and Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher which were all lifers.
In UK either Little Auk or Ring Ouzel many years ago

Attachments

• long tailed silky fly.JPG
    long tailed silky fly.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • red headed barbet.JPG
    red headed barbet.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 3
  • quetzal digiscope.JPG
    quetzal digiscope.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • quetzal female.JPG
    quetzal female.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 3
  • quetzal first bird.JPG
    quetzal first bird.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 4
There was a book published about 25 years ago that detailed which rare birds had turned up on each day of the year. As far as I can recall my birthday (January 18th) was considered the least likely day to find a rarity. I've not had a proper birthday tick, best was an American Wigeon in 2015 which was a local patch tick.

There was a book published about 25 years ago that detailed which rare birds had turned up on each day of the year. As far as I can recall my birthday (January 18th) was considered the least likely day to find a rarity. I've not had a proper birthday tick, best was an American Wigeon in 2015 which was a local patch tick.

This year, on safari in South Africa was my favourite birthday. Well before dawn I saw my first Spotted Eagle Owl outside the room, (then after dark finished the day with my first Leopard, which was dragging a dead wildebeest out of a river.)

Having a July birthday, I can't think of any other birthday highlights!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back