• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best color for bird feeder rain guard (1 Viewer)

I am new here, and have introduced myself in the "Hellow" forum.

I recently received a medium sized wooden feeder with glass sides for free.
I then bought some general wild bird feed and put it out on a shepherds hook.
For several weeks many different birds flocked to the feeder, sparrows, black cap chickadees, cardinals, blackbirds, and the occasional blue-jay.

The problem that I ran into, was that if I didn't bring it in, during a rain, it got wet, and soggy, so I installed a nice, round domed, black trash can lid over it, in the normal rain guard position. I also bought some better feed with more black oil sunflowers, stripe sunflowers, peanut parts, dried cherries, etc.... and mixed it with the original food that they were already coming for.

The bitds have not come back, since the change, except for a couple of visits from our local male cardinal, a blackbird and one sparrow.

I also bought a really nice tube feeder with good, protective pecking holes, and small, flat, curved parches. The sparrows swarmed it, then disappeared. It hangs next to and mostly above the black rain guard for the other feeder.
I also installed a black wrap around squirrel guard under these feeders

Again, they all came for the basic feed, but now I have mixed this more premium feed into it, and almost no business at all, for the better part of a week.

Is the black rain guard scaring the birds away?
Should I paint it some other color?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I really would like more comments on this.
It has been almost a full week with almost no birds at all, after having all kinks of birds eating, and not as good of feed back then I might add.
The first time around they came withing 2 days.
BTW, the male cardinal did stop for a quick bite this afternoon, so that is something, and one sparrow was there when I went to add the new finch sock and clear rain guard.

I have to say that I am a bit dissapointed to receive only one responce out of 85 views, and that a bit general.

Anyway, I thought I would update that I have painted the rain guard a light sage green color, and hung it back above the wooden feeder. While it was down, for several hours I had a sparrow and a black cap chickodee, but still not the business that I had before.

After hangint back up I still had a bit more action, but the good news is that one of the male cardinals keeps comming back. I saw him about 8 times today.

What really supprises me is that the bunch of sparrows has not come back to the feeder. They are still flying around among the trees and bushes around my yard, but not landing on the feeders.

They swaremed the tube feeder when I first hung it, then they just left, and haven't been back.

It was a good response you got, and I doubt anyone felt there was anything to add. I don't think you had to say you were disappointed, though.

Hi ftb,

Fugl replied within half an hour and with good advice/reassurance. Also, the forum is a bit more oriented (I don't mind if you want to call it biased ;) towards birds "in the wild", rather than the backyard. Hence the lowish number of views and no further replies.
By the sound of it things are going back to normal again - don't worry if it takes some of the birds a bit of time to get used to things. We started out with a feeder at the back of the garden and gradually inched it forward towards the house. The birds stayed away for a few days every time we moved it. The colour itself doesn't matter unless it's bright ultraviolet :) but sage green looks nice in the garden I reckon.
Well hope that helps a bit - why not submit a yard list and keep us updated on the cool stuff that comes to the feeder?

N

As I said in specific response to your specific question, color shouldn't make any difference. What's "general" about that?

Your are right fugl.

There was nothing general about that, but it was a bit black and white, no pun intended, and I expected to see a bit more discussion on this question. I apologize of I offended you or anyone else here at this forum.

I am just used to other forums, on other subjects, where enthusiasts will chime in with several answers, and give a more complete picture of the issue or to talk of there own experiences with the question at hand.

So is this forum more geared to "Birds in the Wild", rather than back yard birding?

I wouldn't say things are back to normal, I just have the cardinal making more stops..
I have not purchased a bird bath, so would that be a large attractor, if I keep it fresh?
Also, does anyone here have experience with the water wigglers that keep the water moving in a bird bath?

Last edited:
I've found that a supply of water is the most important thing for birds, for cleaning etc.
Where I live now it is hot, and lots of birds love it when our sprinklers come on!

Water in some form is certainly a good idea. I use a large bowl placed on the ground near the feeders to which I add water as needed. The birds love it, both for bathing & drinking, & visit it regularly whether there's seed in the feeder or not.

With our mild winters here in Reno keeping the water unfrozen during the cold months is relatively easy. I know that's not going to be the case in New York State, so you'll probably need something more elaborate than a simple bowl but I can't advise on that having had no experience with really severe winter conditions.

By the way, I noticed there's a Garden Birds etc forum here, so don't feel like this site is not for you, you just need to get to know it.

Best make sure it's cleaned quite regularly. The same goes for your feeder by the way, they're one of the biggest sources/transmitters of bird diseases here in Europe. Not sure if I'd trust a water wiggler, but I don't have any experience with them.

N

Cleaning feeders and bird baths

I have done a lot of reading on back yard birding, and I have been cleaning my feeders on an approx monthly basis, and I plan to rinse and refill the water daily.

BTW, I made a hanging bird bath out of an old shallow, aluminum cake pan that my wife didn't need, and some small chain, and hung it on a lower branch of the Japanese Maple in our back yard, about 30 feet from the feeders. I also put a Home Depot bucket under it with a hose hooked up to dribble water into it, as I have read that birds will hear the drippling water and be drawn to it.

Any comments?
Is aluminum OK to use for bird baths?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back