• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need a bird feeder? (1 Viewer)

tabwen

United States
I've been thinking about purchasing some bird feeders for my backyard lately but I don't know which ones to get, do you guys have any recommendations? I saw that some smart bird feeders have built-in cameras and can take photos of birds. I wonder if these smart bird feeders are useful?

In addition, I also made a questionnaire. Because I am a data scientist, I may be more concerned about the proportion of people who recommend using bird feeders. This can better help me choose what type of bird feeders to buy, and I can better observe birds in the backyard, and I can also provide food and protection for migrating birds.

Here is the link, I can't wait to know your answers.
link: Survey on Backyard Birdwatching and Bird Feeding Behaviors

Before buying bird feeders, you really need to know what sort of birds there are in your area that are likely to visit them. Have a look in the trees and bushes in your area, as well as any fields. Check out your neighbours and see if any of them have got feeders and what birds are using them.

Also remember that water is a big draw, especially in hot areas. They'll use them for both washing and bathing. If you have an old dustbin lid, or similar, you could turn it upside down and put water in it. See what comes, that can often bring quicker results than feeders, which can take birds months before they find them.

The feeders would need to be near to a shrub or tree that they can flee to if the alarm goes up that there's a raptor about.

Before buying bird feeders, you really need to know what sort of birds there are in your area that are likely to visit them. Have a look in the trees and bushes in your area, as well as any fields. Check out your neighbours and see if any of them have got feeders and what birds are using them.

Also remember that water is a big draw, especially in hot areas. They'll use them for both washing and bathing. If you have an old dustbin lid, or similar, you could turn it upside down and put water in it. See what comes, that can often bring quicker results than feeders, which can take birds months before they find them.

The feeders would need to be near to a shrub or tree that they can flee to if the alarm goes up that there's a raptor about.
Ohh!! Thank you so much! Your suggestions are really important.

I have been through multiple feeders for common songbirds and finches. The biggest drawback for many feeders is the ability to keep them clean. I have yet to find a feeder that:
has enough protection from the rain
allows for drainage or drying to avoid rot and mold
is easy to take apart and clean
is easy to fill
is durable
I have not found a feeder that does not require regular cleaning or has enough protection from the elements. Many have one or two of the listed features but NONE have all the features above. Consider the amount of time you want to devote to cleaning and or bird feed waste and read reviews carefully.

Hi, I’ve purchased a seed feeder called FINCHES FRIEND, these are quite costly but you’ll save money buying different kinds of feeders. This feeder is the best feeder I’ve bought. I can’t praise them enough. Worth a look

Hi, I’ve purchased a seed feeder called FINCHES FRIEND, these are quite costly but you’ll save money buying different kinds of feeders. This feeder is the best feeder I’ve bought. I can’t praise them enough. Worth a look
I have the finches friend and liked it so much I got the finches friend nut feeder too. They look smart and I don't have to run out and fill up everyday. The birds are very happy with them too.

They’re an investment really because of the money you’ll save buying inferior feeders & they’re so easy to clean. Brilliant design

I feed somewhere between 10 and 20 species each day - tits and finches mainly. I have had many feeders and have come to the view that any plastic tube feeders should be avoided - they do not last as they go brittle and break and are difficult to clean inside. I now only use metal mesh feeders for ta balls, nuts and sunflower or other seeds and think that the Henry Bell range is as good as any, although the fat ball feeder is from someone else, name forgotten, but would be interested in knowing what the views of others are. The ones I have are easy to clean and I have two sets and rotate them using a solution of disinfectant in water in a bucket.

I feed somewhere between 10 and 20 species each day - tits and finches mainly. I have had many feeders and have come to the view that any plastic tube feeders should be avoided - they do not last as they go brittle and break and are difficult to clean inside. I now only use metal mesh feeders for ta balls, nuts and sunflower or other seeds and think that the Henry Bell range is as good as any, although the fat ball feeder is from someone else, name forgotten, but would be interested in knowing what the views of others are. The ones I have are easy to clean and I have two sets and rotate them using a solution of disinfectant in water in a bucket.
Have you checked out the specifications of the FF .....the clear plastic is not of the thin delicate type used on most of the budget ranges, much thicker and most likely to last many years with careful maintenance. And they have a wide internal diameter allowing easy cleaning and stripping of parts. Very pleased with mine so far.

Have never seen any Henry Bell items before; odd that they don't have an online ordering system but large range.

Last edited:
They’re an investment really because of the money you’ll save buying inferior feeders & they’re so easy to clean. Brilliant design
To be honest, I did buy a similar bird feeder, but my biggest hobby is bird watching. In addition to providing food for the cute birds, setting up a bird feeder in the backyard also wants to take the opportunity to watch them. I think this is quite fun. I bought a smart bird feeder a few days ago. It can attract birds and take pictures of them when they come to eat. I can’t wait to take pictures of the birds. Once I take them, I have to share them to you guys! !

I've been thinking about purchasing some bird feeders for my backyard lately but I don't know which ones to get, do you guys have any recommendations? I saw that some smart bird feeders have built-in cameras and can take photos of birds. I wonder if these smart bird feeders are useful?

In addition, I also made a questionnaire. Because I am a data scientist, I may be more concerned about the proportion of people who recommend using bird feeders. This can better help me choose what type of bird feeders to buy, and I can better observe birds in the backyard, and I can also provide food and protection for migrating birds.

Here is the link, I can't wait to know your answers.
link: Survey on Backyard Birdwatching and Bird Feeding Behaviors

I know of a bird feeder equipped with a camera and powered by solar energy. If birds come to eat, it intelligently captures images of them. I think this could be useful for you; you might need it. You can search for "Lumary Bird Feeder with Camera" on AMZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back