• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Optics $100 to $300, $400 to $600, $800 to $1200 and $1800 to $2200. (1 Viewer)

Is it true that you will respond to any post in a thread you have started, no matter how far off topic it is, so you can increase the number of responses you get?

What don't you guys use the ignore feature and save yourselves the grief? Amazing how well it cleans the site up. ;)

I don't think any of those three represent the best in any category for the dollar.

I've been REALLY convinced that ZR 7x43_ED3 IS THE BEST device "in any category for the dollar" !

Also i'm impressed very much by ZR 8x32 Summit! I did the contest them vs Sightron SII BlueSky. Sightron seems just a little better for a bit longer eye-relief and more comfortable eyepieces

Last edited:
I've been REALLY convinced that ZR 7x43_ED3 IS THE BEST device "in any category for the dollar" !

Also i'm impressed very much by ZR 8x32 Summit! I did the contest them vs Sightron SII BlueSky. Sightron seems just a little better for a bit longer eye-relief and more comfortable eyepieces
So the Summit was as good optically as the Sightron?

Does the ER on the ZR 7x43_ED3 work with the eyecups? Do you have to hold your eyes beyond the eyecups?

There was some issue with the eyecups on 7x43ED3. But i've fixed it.
I removed the rubber eyecups, then made two turns of black electrical tape on the pipes (to cover theirs guide slots) , and then again put on the eyecups (using drops of glue), but not to the end, so that they were the 4 ... 5 mm "longer". Thats all! Blackouts disappeared! )))

Last edited:
There was some issue with the eyecups on 7x43ED3. But i've fixed it.
I removed the rubber eyecups, then made two turns of black electrical tape on the pipes (to cover theirs guide slots) , and then again put on the eyecups (using drops of glue), but not to the end, so that they were the 4 ... 5 mm "longer". Thats all! Blackouts disappeared! )))
Interesting fix. I have heard the eyecups are not long enough on the Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 for the ER. Causing you to hold the binoculars away from your eyes. A 7x43 is nice though because of the big EA and the obvious brightness, DOF and steadiness. I have always liked 7x50's but they start getting heavy at that aperture. So you would say in the $400 to $ 600 category the Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 is the best value? Better than the SE or EII porro's?

Last edited:
I think Sightron was a bit brighter, maybe had a little more contrast... But almost negligible. My friend, for xmpl, opted the ZR 8x32 from these two...)))
I have never looked through the ZR 8x32 but according to Frank (The King of Cheap) they are pretty good. I am thinking of trying the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 when they are released for it's size and light weight. I don't really understand people who have 5 or 6 mid-priced binoculars when you could sell a few of them and get say an SV 8x32 Swarovision and have better optics all the time and the 8x32 will work in most instances. That's what I have done. I have the SV 8x32 and the Nikon 8x30 EII(Blackbody) and that is it.

Last edited:
Interesting fix. I have heard the eyecups are not long enough on the Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 for the ER. Causing you to hold the binoculars away from your eyes. A 7x43 is nice though because of the big EA and the obvious brightness, DOF and steadiness. I have always liked 7x50's but they start getting heavy at that aperture. So you would say in the $400 to $ 600 category the Zen Ray 7x43 ED3 is the best value? Better than the SE or EII porro's?

What about the Vixen Foresta 7x50(triplet porro)? I have a pair on back-order for $240 and if they are on par optically with the 7x43 ED3 wouldn't they blow them away when it comes to value? I'd be interested in a comparison of the two by anyone who has used both.

What about the Vixen Foresta 7x50(triplet porro)? I have a pair on back-order for $240 and if they are on par optically with the 7x43 ED3 wouldn't they blow them away when it comes to value? I'd be interested in a comparison of the two by anyone who has used both.
Unless you have the eye sockets of a Neanderthal Man(meaning BIG!) the Vixen Foresta 7x50 eyecups will be too big for you. The FOV is kind of small on it also. Never worked for me. The Zen Ray would probably outperform the Vixen I would think especially when it comes to CA. I would definitely rather have the Zen Ray with it's 440 foot FOV.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back