• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Places in North Carolina to watch birds (2 Viewers)

Hi again mirhans

We have some excellent articles in our Opus section (this one covers North Carolina); you should be able to find your way from there to another for South Carolina. I'm not sure if the two you mention are covered by them, but hopefully someone should be along soon to assist you.

Hi again mirhans

We have some excellent articles in our Opus section (this one covers North Carolina); you should be able to find your way from there to another for South Carolina. I'm not sure if the two you mention are covered by them, but hopefully someone should be along soon to assist you.
Thank you so much! appreciate it!

I'm planning a trip to South and North Carolina next month, with the aim of exploring many remote parks. I made an extensive research online and I'm not sure which park is better in terms of bird watching, Merchants Millpond or Goose Creek? What is your opinion?
Good Morning mirhans,

Welcome, glad to have you with us. Which part of the US will you be coming from?

Right off, I, personally, would choose Goose Creek. Not so much that I think it's better, per see, but it is in an area that has a good many other places in the area two of which are Lake Mattamuskeet National Wildlife Refuge and Alligator River Refuge. There are many others in that general area. All this will result in your having a large number of places to choose from.

I'm adding a map here with Goose Creek, Lake Mattamuskeet and Alligator marked so you can see the relation.

Eastern North Carolina Suggestions.jpg

Go to the Eastern North Carolina article and scroll down you will see more detail. Along with map links to the left of highlighted names and a link to a reference site for them on the right.

Feel free to contact me for additional thoughts, suggestions, and/or information.

Barney
Piedmont North Carolina (Approximately 30 minutes north of Charlotte)

The two locations you mention are entirely different habitats. If time allows, you might do well to visit both. Keep in mind, January’s species list will be much reduced from the breeding season. I’m headed to the Outer Banks myself in the first half of next month. There is great diversity there, even in the cold months.

Another excellent source of information would be the Carolina Birds listserv. You can get access by starting here:
[email protected]

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back