• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bharatpur - October (1 Viewer)

john barclay said:
Sorry I haven't read thru all the threads. What, if anything, is being done to bring Bharatpur back to it's former glory?

John.

Well probably by tackling climate change, which isn't helped by people like me flying to places like India to see their birds.

There have been local suggestions that the drilling of deep tube wells will allow access to water for the reserve but this has been met with horror by ecologists who have pointed out that the whole fragile ecology of the resrve could be irretrievably damaged by pumping the "wrong" kind of water through.

jurek said:
Unfortunately, India, despite being beautiful, friendly etc., etc., is full of incredible tourist scams. Lying about birds is nothing compared e.g. scam when hotels were poisoning tourists so related doctors got money for medical insurance. In 2005, guides were driving tourists to see tigers in Sariska NP, despite tigers were wiped out by poachers.
:-C :-C :-C

Untruthful behavious by guides cannot be condoned, but I don't know how I would behave if my immediate livelihood was dependent upon getting some customers now, not next year.

I recall visiting in 2001 which was a dry year and tourism had also been seriously affected by the twin towers attack. The number of visitors had been devastatingly low with the whole of the local economy, guides, rickshaw pullers, hotels, restaurants etc suffering really badly. It's easy for us to criticise from a tourist perspective but life can be really tough on the ground for these guys.

None of this is helped by those birders who regard meanness to be an admirable trait. I'm sure that no-one on this board deserves such a description however.

:eek!:

Last edited:
jurek said:
Unfortunately, India, despite being beautiful, friendly etc., etc., is full of incredible tourist scams. Lying about birds is nothing compared e.g. scam when hotels were poisoning tourists so related doctors got money for medical insurance. In 2005, guides were driving tourists to see tigers in Sariska NP, despite tigers were wiped out by poachers.
:-C :-C :-C

Depressing, isn't it. I was planning to go to Kanha and Bharatpur next year, but I'm now beginning to have doubts. I had heard that tiger numbers were exaggerated in some places, but not to that extent. Does anyone know if Kanha still has reasonable numbers? (Sorry for going a bit off topic).

meles said:
Depressing, isn't it. I was planning to go to Kanha and Bharatpur next year, but I'm now beginning to have doubts. I had heard that tiger numbers were exaggerated in some places, but not to that extent. Does anyone know if Kanha still has reasonable numbers? (Sorry for going a bit off topic).

Kanha is reputed to be the best site nowadays but I would also recommend Corbett which has fabulous birding and is a spectacular place to visit with scenery to die for.

Overall the tiger situation in India is quite bad with marauding poachers from Nepal feeding a voracious Chinese demand for skins etc. This has been widely reported in the UK press in the last couple of days.

Alf King said:
Kanha is reputed to be the best site nowadays but I would also recommend Corbett which has fabulous birding and is a spectacular place to visit with scenery to die for.

Overall the tiger situation in India is quite bad with marauding poachers from Nepal feeding a voracious Chinese demand for skins etc. This has been widely reported in the UK press in the last couple of days.

Yes, if it weren't for the fact that I want to see tigers (because the way it's going it may well not be possible in a few year's time) I would go to either Corbett or Kaziranga. Kanha is very remote and I wouldn't make the trip if I thought the tigers might have gone the same way as in some of the other parks. Fortunately, Bharatpur at least is relatively easy to get to, so it's not so tragic if you turn up there and find it's waterless, as there are other places to visit nearby.

meles said:
Fortunately, Bharatpur at least is relatively easy to get to, so it's not so tragic if you turn up there and find it's waterless, as there are other places to visit nearby.

Where..... ;)

John.

In Feb. 2005 tigers were relatively easy to see in Corbett. But poachers can wipe them out in a year (like they did e.g. in Ranthambore), so your best bet might be asking on Dehlibird mailing list or some people returning from the trips.

If it was like 2005, I would definitely go to Corbett - great birds and tigers.

jurek said:
In Feb. 2005 tigers were relatively easy to see in Corbett. But poachers can wipe them out in a year (like they did e.g. in Ranthambore), .

The demise at ranthambhore was rather over-stated, they were not wiped out. You were unlucky. By accounts, the number fell from 40-something to 30-something, serious and unforgiveable, but not quite wiped out. Easy to see again in Dec 2005 and tigers pugs seen across the reserve, plus four different animals actually seen.

We had 3 days in Ranthambore, with expensive jeep trips and not seeing a tiger were were really pissed. We kept asking other tourists and only 1 person in 20 seen a tiger. So we were not unlucky.
I heard that situation improved in 2006, if not more tigers than guides track them better.

But there is a real danger that situation repeats in any national park - poachers kill all or most tigers in one year - and no nearby hotel owner or guide will tell visitors beforehand. This happened in Sariska, in Ranthambore and some other places.

For somebody planning a visit, I think it is best asking tourists, Indian birding lists or tour company operating all over India, so not dependent on dumping tourists into "their" place.

Well, still India is better for tiger-watching than any other country.

meles said:
Yes, if it weren't for the fact that I want to see tigers (because the way it's going it may well not be possible in a few year's time) I would go to either Corbett or Kaziranga. Kanha is very remote and I wouldn't make the trip if I thought the tigers might have gone the same way as in some of the other parks. Fortunately, Bharatpur at least is relatively easy to get to, so it's not so tragic if you turn up there and find it's waterless, as there are other places to visit nearby.

I saw tiger in Corbett (Dhikala) last December. We were looking for birds at the time, of course!

jurek said:
We had 3 days in Ranthambore, with expensive jeep trips and not seeing a tiger were were really pissed. We kept asking other tourists and only 1 person in 20 seen a tiger. So we were not unlucky.

That makes you unlucky ;) In addition to those poached, possibly the tigers had also withdrawn from the main areas whilst you were there or become more wary of people (disturbance effect of poaching), but certainly there was still a sizeable tiger presence. I was there only 10 months after you and tigers were again present throughout the parts I visited, including a pair near the main entrance. That said, I was also lucky - though I saw tigers on each visit into the park and saw prints in almost every part of the reserve, some tourists I spoke had taken several days to see one, though most had seen one.

Do one hundred percent agree with your comments about information though - if you want to know about the current situation, better to ask fellow tourists, NOT guides or hotel owners ...they lie through their teeth!

I'm going to Delhi Nov 8-20 for a business trip and was planning on spending 3 nights in Bharatpur. I understand that the water situation is pretty bad there now. Has anyone been there in the last few days that can confirm this? I wonder if there will still be lots of birds to see. I don't mind not seeing many water birds, I really enjoy raptors, owls, king fishers, bee eaters, hornbills, etc....

I'm planning on staying at the Falcon Guest House. Has anyone else stayed there?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for other places to visit around that area, for birding of course.

Thanks,
Mike

ekimzulad said:
I'm going to Delhi Nov 8-20 for a business trip and was planning on spending 3 nights in Bharatpur. I understand that the water situation is pretty bad there now. Has anyone been there in the last few days that can confirm this? I wonder if there will still be lots of birds to see. I don't mind not seeing many water birds, I really enjoy raptors, owls, king fishers, bee eaters, hornbills, etc....

I'm planning on staying at the Falcon Guest House. Has anyone else stayed there?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for other places to visit around that area, for birding of course.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

I advise that you make an enquiry at www.delhibird.net where you should get lots of helpful advice not only about Bharatpur but also about birding around Delhi. Also send enquiries to [email protected] .

Have you planned to visit Okhla or Sultanpur for example?

Around Bharatpur there is only Bund Baretha that could be described as close, which means at least two hours drive. It's worth visiting however. If you had more time I would advise a trip to the Chambal River but you would need at least an extra day for this.

HTH

Last edited:
We stayed at the Falcon several years ago. A very friendly owner and he will rent you bikes. Also his cook would rustle up whatever you fancied, such as egg & chips and one night we had a very nice aubergine dish. It was a bit chilly at night but we did go in January.

Just received this message which confirms the bad news
--------
As far as I have heard, there is no water and no heronry.
Not in its usual or expected state.
Although, some tour operators are talking otherwise.
Regards.

Anand Arya

----- Original Message -----

Any current news on the water levels ?

Have any of the herons and storks bred ?

Tony

TonyC said:
Just received this message which confirms the bad news
--------
As far as I have heard, there is no water and no heronry.
Not in its usual or expected state.
Although, some tour operators are talking otherwise.
Regards.

Anand Arya

----- Original Message -----

Any current news on the water levels ?

Have any of the herons and storks bred ?

Tony

No breeding storks or herons. No water - the rains failed again.

I've heard tell of a patch of wetland some 45 minutes drive away from Bharatpur - a river bed on the old Agra road which has had water this year - anyone heard of this ?

TonyC said:
I've heard tell of a patch of wetland some 45 minutes drive away from Bharatpur - a river bed on the old Agra road which has had water this year - anyone heard of this ?

Hi Tony
Think you are there tomorrow the 1st Nov. hope you have a good visit even with it dry , please post when you return on any sites nearby , I have 4 days at Kaoleado in January so anything nearby with water will be a bonus.

Cheers Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back