• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bibliography in H&M website (1 Viewer)

Do you know where is the bibliography on the Avian systematics (Howard & Moore) website, I can't find it?
I don't think it's yet online, though the website suggests it may be sometime soon:
Much of the rest of the book (the introductory material and the appendices, including those included in the CDs that accompanied the volumes) will be made available to subscribers to this website in the course of the next year.
However, I don't think the Lists of References were classified as appendices even though they are on the CDs.

I don't think it's yet online, though the website suggests it may be sometime soon:

However, I don't think the Lists of References were classified as appendices even though they are on the CDs.
Ok. It would have been useful to me to have a complete bibliography which would contain the OD of genera and species for example

Much of the rest of the book (the introductory material and the appendices, including those included in the CDs that accompanied the volumes) will be made available to subscribers to this website in the course of the next year.
This page has been saying that it would be made available "in the course of the next year" for a couple of years, though (see the Wayback Machine, Oct 2020)... Note as well that "the subscribers to this website" doesn't sound like something intended to mean "the public at large".
Anyway, so far as I know, the reference lists which were on the CDs that came with the books were intended to cover works cited in the footnotes.
They did not give complete references to all the works containing the ODs of all the taxa accepted in the checklist.

what's missing is a page that lists the entire bibliography in this form: authors, year, title, journal or book name, pages.
Zoonomen gives the author, the year, the title of the book or journal in an abbreviated form (with a link that usually allows retrieving the complete title reasonably easily), and the page where the name was introduced. It does not list the title and pages of individual papers within a journal, or the title and pages of individual sections within books.
I think this is the closest thing to what you describe that is "out there".

Anyway, so far as I know, the reference lists which were on the CDs that came with the books were intended to cover works cited in the footnotes.
They did not give complete references to all the works containing the ODs of all the taxa accepted in the checklist.
I can confirm that. The reference list which I have contains about 2,900 references for Volume 1 and a larger number for Volume 2, and as Laurent says they are intended to back up the footnotes. A randomly-chosen footnote from Volume 2 says "includes africana; see Cramp et al. (1994)[612]."

Most of the taxa do not have footnotes at all, and for those which do it's a gamble whether the footnote points at an OD for the taxa.

Here's the start of that list, for example:

1. A.O.U., 1957. Check‐list of North American birds. i‐xiii, 1‐691. ‒ American Ornithologists’ Union, Baltimore, Maryland.
2. A.O.U., 1983. Check‐list of North American birds. i‐xxix, 1‐877. ‒ American Ornithologists’ Union, Lawrence, Kansas.
3. A.O.U., 1998. Check‐list of North American birds. i‐liv, 1‐829. ‒ American Ornithologists’ Union, Washington D.C.
4. Abalos, R. & J.I. Areta, 2009. Historia natural y vocalizaciones del Doradito Limón (Pseudocolopteryx cf. citreola) en
Argentina. ‒ Ornitologia Neotropical, 20: 215‐230.
5. Abdulali, H., 1959. A new white‐throated race of the babbler Dumetia hyperythra. ‒ Journal of the Bombay Natural History
Society, 56 (2): 333‐335.

That came from a file on the CD which came with the books. I haven't looked at the website for a long time so I don't remember if it can be found there anywhere.

Zoonomen gives the author, the year, the title of the book or journal in an abbreviated form (with a link that usually allows retrieving the complete title reasonably easily), and the page where the name was introduced. It does not list the title and pages of individual papers within a journal, or the title and pages of individual sections within books.
I think this is the closest thing to what you describe that is "out there".
Yep.

My read
This page has been saying that it would be made available "in the course of the next year" for a couple of years, though (see the Wayback Machine, Oct 2020)... Note as well that "the subscribers to this website" doesn't sound like something intended to mean "the public at large".

Like yours, my reading of that is that public offering is the checklist and footnotes and the rest (essays, appendices,indexes) will be for subscribers only.

I very much doubt the subscriber system or any follow up will materialise. The Trust seem to focus entirely on protecting their intellectual property. While this might be a legal requirement to some extent, the end result will be diminish the value of the intellectual property (it's getting old) and prevent a lasting legacy. I would have thought the latter would be a bigger concern for the Trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back