• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has the WGAC published a list? (1 Viewer)

I do know the Yellow-rumped Warbler split would have passed with a majority the last time it was voted on, but failed in a supermajority vote. What this means for WGAC who knows...

We haven't discussed it much on this forum, but something I've wondered about is, after WGAC achieves its "goal" - then what? Judging from what I know of their alignment with the other checklists (admittedly little), especially the "base" IOC that they started from, it seems that in theory they are very welcome to both "bottom up" suggestions from local organizations and "top down" review of newer research... especially in those geographies without a robust advisory effort. It's not necessarily an either/or problem.

BUT, there is something to add to the management problem metaphor here - what if one of your satellite offices has vastly different procedural norms than the rest of your offices? And they don't want to change? And that office happens to cover the entirety of the New World? Do you accept that office doing their own thing, or do you override them at "corporate level?"
Yep, a lot of question marks on the future of the WGAC: what happens to the other lists? what will be there update process going forward? how will they deal with local committees? in what format will the list be available? Will they have there own website or co-op and existing one? How will they deal with subspecies groups or other details covered by one list or not another? Will we ever see the proposals being used to usher in taxonomic changes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back