• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bif D300 (1 Viewer)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
Having not long switched over to Nikon....I am planning a trip to Gigrin farm later in the week. Could someone give me a few basic in camera settings for the D300 for BIF. I know about overexposing the shot, I was just wondering about which AF points and tracking mode etc, etc. I will be using my Sigma 500 f/4.5 with the D300. Thanks. Neil.

Hello Neil,

I am unsure why you want to over expose???? It only makes sense if you understand your histogram or if the weather is murky and light is bad, other than that just trust your camera.

I speak from a D90 perspective, but think the D300 will be very similiar.

1. I use AUTO ISO, min shutter speed 1250, max ISO 1600,
2. I use spot metering, but you could get away with matrix.
3. I use dynamic autofocus mode, obviously in AF-Continuous
4. I shoot in RAW, your choice ....
5. Shutter release in "high" mode

Then, you better practice, and be prepared to bin Giga bytes of trash, but its good fun, and when you get it right its very rewarding.

Good luck

you might find 300 - 400mm more than adequate for Gigrin, as they do come in that close. You'll have loads of time to adjust the settings, take a few test shots, check the histogram and away you go, pay attention to changing conditions. I use 9 or 21 point C-AF for BIF, never wishing to exceed 800iso, will always stick to 400iso if I can get away with it, tracking needs to be short or normal it will only be another bird that may pass in front of the shot so no big issue like trees etc.

Oh I use the AF-on button to focus and not the shutter release I find this is an easier option with moving subjects

Biggest tip, don't shoot tagged birds as they look naf, plenty of untagged to track, pick a bird and track it, with a little time you'll be able to judge when they are about to dive, I shot 1200 frames on my last trip so that's a couple of standard batteries (or less than one EN-el4 if you've upgraded) and in excess of 20Gb

have a great time

Attachments

• red-kite-head-on-web.jpg
    red-kite-head-on-web.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 101
  • red-kite-4-web.jpg
    red-kite-4-web.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 131
  • red-kite-15-web.jpg
    red-kite-15-web.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 145
  • red-kite-7-web.jpg
    red-kite-7-web.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 144
Some superb Kite shots there Steve, for me especially the third one. Best advise I have for flight shots is to try to get the light right, as Steve has done. They look great when lit up by directional light.

Hi Neil,
People say that the D300 is way better than the 7D for BiF so you should be all set!
My autofocus settings (basically copied from http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159654&start=0&hilit=D300+flight+settings)

Continuous focus mode, using AF-ON button for focus
Set AF-C priority selection to Release
Set Dynamic AF area to 9 (21 on D3S)
Set Focus Tracking with Lock on to normal, short, or off (depending on subject and background)
Set AF point selection to 51
Set AF pt in viewfinder to ON
Set Built-in AF assist illuminator to off.

Finally, make sure to select the middle position on the AF sensor switch on the back of the camera.

Personally don't like to use Auto-ISO, since too much noise in D300 beyond about ISO 400 which I have to deal with in Photoshop; I try to use manual metering for BiF; it you use aperture-priority you need to make sure you've got your exposure compensation sorted otherwise you'll most likely end up with light backgrounds and dark birds if you're shooting against sky as a background!

If you're shooting fast-flying birds (e.g. Hobbies and Ducks can be a nightmare!) you need as high a shutter speed as you can manage, and as low an f-number as you can get away with.
Cheers,
D

Personally don't like to use Auto-ISO, since too much noise in D300 beyond about ISO 400 which I have to deal with in Photoshop;

The D300 sensor has a documented quirk in its noise performance curve whereby sensor noise at ISO800 with High ISO Noise Reduction turned on (NORMAL or HIGH) is LESS than ISO400 with High ISO Noise Reduction turned off. If you believe the dpreview report, the best settings might be ISO AUTO 800-3200 with HIGH ISO Noise Reduction set to NORMAL or HIGH depending on your print size.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back