• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Bend National Park, Texas, USA 2 days ago (1 Viewer)

willtexas07

I need help confirming the identity of these birds. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 96
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 101
1. lark bunting x2
2. edit: grasshopper sparrow, presumably.
3. black-throated sparrow
4. could it be chipping?
5. lark bunting

Last edited:
Hmmm, Grasshopper Sp to me is a bird where the upper mandible and the crown is one straight line. I realize there is a subspecies in Florida with a smaller bill, but in southern Texas?

Niels

Agree with Silverwolf on all but #2, which (as Niels pointed out already) really doesn't have the utterly flat head of an Ammodramus like Grasshopper. Bill, eye-ring, and cheek stripe put me in mind of a juvenile Field Sparrow, which has some breast streaking and can show a bit of dark upper mandible. But I'm not at all familiar with the birds of South Texas, so I imagine there are other possibilities.

It's probably holding it's head feathers erect because it's agitated. Certainly too large-headed and chunky for Field Sparrow, and too heavy billed. Besides, young Field Sparrows would look identical to adults this time of year.

Looks fine for a Grasshopper Sparrow to me (I spent a spring and summer studying them, in Florida).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back