• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big bird spiraling - Netherlands (1 Viewer)

KeesJ

Netherlands
Today I saw a bird at a great distance that I cannot identify.
As large as a great blue heron (the wings), body en wings seemed overall light in color with dark wing tips.
Flying at fairly high altitudes and occasionally spiraling vertically downwards with spread wings, with great speed. I mean spiraling in a straight line, no circles made.
Then quickly flapping wings again to a higher altitude.
I saw this in open countryside, meadows, in the Netherlands.

Common crane? Really could be many of the larger waterbirds with that description though- if it looked like a heron then maybe just a grey heron?

Edit- Common crane suggested because of dark wing tips, not sure of many larger waterbirds that have black wing tips. Great blue herons are an American species and is almost certainly not that species.

Sorry, I only mentioned the heron to indicate the size of the bird/wings. I also could have said something like bold eagle.
I have no indication it's a waterbird.

Does a Crane dive is such a way as described?

Have you checked marsh harrier, adult male? I've seen them swoop in such ways described- also fits the description.

Yes, I have checked marsh harrier. Only these are not so big as the one I saw.
So far there has been no other observations like I had, so I am afraid I have to let it go. A pity the bird was to far away.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back