• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Garden Birdwatch LIVE! (1 Viewer)

Blackbird 2
Blue tit 2
Chaffinch 2
Coal tit 2
Collared dove 3
Goldfinch 7
Great tit 2
Greenfinch 2
Jackdaw 2
Long-tailed tit 2
Robin 1
Starling 1
Woodpigeon 1

Scarcer birds

Goldcrest 1

Last edited:
Only had time to stake it out for about 15 minutes today. Am visiting my grandma later to install a new squirrel-proof feeder, though, and she has a really well-established feeder station so if that's OK I'll update from there:

Blackbird 2
Robin 2
Blue Tit 2
Wood Pigeon 1
Starling 2

What a wonderful excuse to sit and watch birds for an hour!!
I watched between 10-11am and saw:
2 Great tits
5 Coal tits
8 Long tailed tits
3 Blue tits
9 Green finch
7 Chaffinch
3 Robin
6 Dunnock
3 Blackbirds
2 Jackdaw
1 Woodpigeon

Last edited:
Black headed gull 1
Starling 3
Wood pigeon 1
House sparrow 8
Blue tit 4
Collared dove 3
Blackbird 2
Robin 1
Chaffinch 1
Magpie 2

Lovely to sit with a cup of coffee, a sketchbook and bins just watching the comings and goings for an hour.

Mike

Only had time to stake it out for about 15 minutes today. Am visiting my grandma later to install a new squirrel-proof feeder, though, and she has a really well-established feeder station so if that's OK I'll update from there:

Blackbird 2
Robin 2
Blue Tit 2
Wood Pigeon 1
Starling 2

We'll let you off!

I have decided to do my 'watching' tomorrow, as I have only just got back from a game of footy, and am going to watch one later!

Blackbird 3
Dunnock 2
Chaffinch 3
Robin
Great Tit 2
Blue Tit 2
Long-tailed Tit 2
Barn Owl
Starling 2
Wren

Barn Owl ghosted up over our hedge from the field behind - had been hunting on the field most of the morning.

Only did about 15-20 minutes as am stuck in with a bad bug and was getting a bit woozy trying stand at the window counting birds. Got as far as:

12 House Sparrows (there were more in the ivy and the holly tree but couldn't see them to count properly)
6 Starlings
1 Robin
1 Blackbird
2 Blue Tits

Was quite quiet, I think I picked the wrong time to look as I normally see a lot more sparrows and starlings plus often a dunnock, another blackbird, three collared doves and two or three woodpigeons... but what I saw was not bad for only 15 minutes here. If it's raining heavily tomorrow I doubt I'll see much though, and I'm not sure I'll feel up to standing there for an hour.

I did my garden watch from 11.15 until 12.15 and this proved to be a marked improvement from last year's poor results.

Blackbird 3
B. Tit 4
Chaffinch 2
Coal tit 1
Collared dove 1
Dunnock 1
Goldfinch 4
G. Tit 1
Green finch 4
House sparrow 2
Magpie 2
Robin 1
Starling 1

Unfortunately the GSW did not show.

Brian

I did my watch this morning and here it is
2 Marsh tit
1 nuthatch
6 blue tit
10 great tit
6 chaffinch
1 greater spotted wood pecker ( male and female within the hour, but only 1 at each time)
1 coal tit
2 dunnock
1 greenfinch
1 robin
1 blackbird
1 house sparrow.

So who didn't show today - the goldfinches - on hunger strike, have to wait for more niger seed and the wren, couldn't see that one in the greenhouse.What would I love to visit - Long tailed tits, they are around but have not yet visited. A black cap would also be amazing.

Blackbird 5
Blue tit 2
Chaffinch 5
collared dove 23
Dunnock 2
Goldfinch 21
Greenfinch 8
Robin 1
Starling 14
Woodpigeon 1
Song thrush 1
Wren 1
Jackdaw 1
Sparrowhawk 1 (regular visitor)
Blackcap 1 (up to 3 present since 16-12-2008)

Regards Bish :t:

Blue Tit 9
Great Tit 4
Coal Tit 2
Marsh Tit 1
Long-tailed Tit 3
Robin 2
Dunnock 3
Chaffinch 14
Greenfinch 3
Goldfinch 8
Great-spotted Woodpecker 3
Blackbird 5
Starling 3
House Sparrow 2
Blackcap 2 (male on fat balls, female under sunflower heart feeder)
Wood pig 1 (a distinct lack of these and Collared Doves due to the local shoot)

I will see what tomorrow brings before submitting.

ATB Keith

I was faffing about today wondering when to start my hour count as I wanted to do it when my solitary tree sparrow was about and then suddenly spotted a greater spotted woodpecker on the feeder........haven't had one for ages so that was it, start time! 11.55am. Luckily the tree sparrow appeared during the hour!

greater spotted woodpecker 1
tree sparrow 1
blue tit 3
great tit 2
chaffinch 5
house sparrow 8
dunnock 2
linnet 50
blackbird 5
coal tit 2
robin 1
goldfinch 5
greenfinch 4

TS

Today or tomorrow today or tomorrow???????

Today would have been great I was really excited about seeing a bullfinch on one of the feeders! Doesn't look like too many people get them. Or do they?
new to this lark but have definitely got the bug! You guys/gals seem to get some really interesting birds. How do you attract birds like woodpeckers and goldfinches?

Anyway had to leave today as had so many other things to do and it looks like rain here tomorrow.

It would be great even to attract a blue tit into my garden!!!!! Going to do my official count tomorrow, did have 20 mins this morning whilst having a cuppa and no laughing please ......

1 x robin
1 x collared dove
handful of sparrows (the excitement of the collared dove made me loose count of the sparrows)
1 x male blackbird.

However top of my road (on Trans Pennine Cycle Path) walking the dog ....

Bullfinch, Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Blackbird, Magpie, Kestrel, Dunnock, Wren, Starling, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Chaffinch, Robin, Pied Wagtail, Black Headed Gull and Lapwing.

What a difference 500 yrd make!!!!

Today would have been great I was really excited about seeing a bullfinch on one of the feeders! Doesn't look like too many people get them. Or do they?
new to this lark but have definitely got the bug! You guys/gals seem to get some really interesting birds. How do you attract birds like woodpeckers and goldfinches?

Anyway had to leave today as had so many other things to do and it looks like rain here tomorrow.

Some of it is down to the offerings you leave out for the birds (there are many threads on that subject) and where you garden is located but as I am sure many people would agree the rest is down to luck.

Brian

Bullfinches are about here as I drive down the lane, they don't tend to visit me until the buds are on the fruit trees! They do take from the feeders as well. Goldfinches only call for Nyger seed. I think we must all have birds we wish visited, as I said my wish is for Long Tailed Tits.

[

So who didn't show today - the goldfinches - on hunger strike, have to wait for more niger seed and the wren, couldn't see that one in the greenhouse.What would I love to visit - Long tailed tits, they are around but have not yet visited. A black cap would also be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Today I have had a visit from two Long Tailed Tits!! I am delighted.

[

Code:
So who didn't show today - the goldfinches - on hunger strike, have to wait for more niger seed and the wren, couldn't see that one in the greenhouse.What would I love to visit - Long tailed tits, they are around but have not yet visited. A black cap would also be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Today I have had a visit from two Long Tailed Tits!! I am delighted.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back