• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biggest WOW binoculars you have ever looked through? (1 Viewer)

I thought the reason you rejected the Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32 was because the focus got stiff in the cold winter of Colorado and you were not able to follow the birds. I an wondering why that would not also be a problem with the Maven if the focus also gets stiff? Maybe you should give it the old freezer test while you are still under your return period. Hopefully you will find out before the Swaro goes down the road.

I assume the Canon will do fine but it would be best to use lithium batteries. I use lithium in mine without problems for the longer life but I have not used my Canon 10X42 L IS in cold weather.
The Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32 focus was stiff IMO ALL the time. That is why I sent mine back and although the optics were good frankly(a play on words) it didn't WOW me. I think it is a pretty cheap looking binocular also but I guess you can't expect too much at $160.00 for a roof. I usually don't bird when the temperature drops below 50 degrees fahrenheit so I don't think the focus stiffening will be an issue. I really like the focus smoothness and speed and tension on both the Maven and Trac. They have enough tension so you don't overshoot your focus and perfect speed to approach it.

Today I was out birding in West Clare with my new Nikon SE 8x32. I think this is the fourth pair I've owned. I tried to remember, while strolling around the cliffs at Loop Head, the number of binoculars I've owned in the last twelve years. I could only remember 43, but I think it's more than that. Some were repeat purchases (in particular EII and SE). I think that demonstrates a level of unusual behaviour beyond the norm, and I feel a bit embarrassed admitting it.
Although Dennis wears his heart on his sleeve, he has probably changed bino less often than I. We all suffer from Capitalism's greatest weapon, i.e. exploiting humanity's eternal anxiety to improve its tools or possessions, for profit. Dennis has taken a lot of flak on this and other threads for his switching of allegiances between brands, models and price-points, but only because he is honest. And he has taken all the flak in remarkably good spirit.
And now, after my personal and pointless bino-odyssey through alphas and second-tiers, through roofs and porros, through IS and non-IS, through 8x and 10x and lot of other mags besides, I'm back with an 8x32 SE, the first model of which I had 14 years ago.
We're all a bit like this, otherwise we wouldn't be on a bino-forum. Give Dennis a break. And applaud him for trying lots of binos.
Thanks. I have tried a lot of different binoculars but I guess I just enjoy trying new binoculars. I understand your "Coming Home" to the Nikon 8x32 SE. I am surprised you use a non-waterproof binocular in such a wet climate as Ireland but I am NOT surprised you like the optics on the Nikon 8x32 SE. Most would agree it is the finest porro-prism birding binocular made.

Bruce,

The Canon 10x42 L IS works well in cold weather if you use either lithium batteries or Eneloop NiMH-rechargeables. I have used one down to about -20 C and the stabilizer still works the same and focus does not get unduly stiff. The eyepieces can fog up on the outside if your breath gets on them accidentally, but that applies to most binoculars.

Kimmo
I had my Canon 10x42 IS-L out today birding and I am astounded how steady the image is with the IS on. It is without a doubt the best 10x made for seeing detail. I always use lithium batteries in mine for the lighter weight and the longer life. They have definitely made some improvements in the later models because I see no artifacts in mine.

I'd have to check, but Maven was considering offering three levels of focus tension, determined by differing grease viscosities.

None of the Mavens I have have much difficulty in cold temps with stiffening of the focus travel.

The Maven B2 in particular is indeed a $2k glass for half of the price. So we get to see how long Dennis holds that opinion I guess, but at this point I almost agree with him.
;)
Interesting about the grease viscosities. I personally think the tension on the B.2 9x45 Maven is perfect. It has ENOUGH tension that you don't overshoot your focus but not so hard that you can't turn it like a Habicht. I agree with you 100% about the Maven B.2 being a $2K glass at 1/2 the price, Steve. Everything about the B.2 from the build quality to the eye cups to the armour and to the optics is equal to the alpha's. The quality is perfect. I am thinking about trying the Maven 10x56 B.4. It would be low light fiend.

The Sightron Blue Sky II 8X32 focus was stiff IMO ALL the time. That is why I sent mine back and although the optics were good frankly(a play on words) it didn't WOW me. ......

I was wow'd by your lack of wow overall for the Sightron.

Your original review of the Sightron was favorable expect for the focus, saying it was sitting outside at 30 degrees when you opened the box and the focus was stiff. At the time, you said you were going to use it as a summer glass so I guess back then you were doing winter birding.

Your review had a post with a line summary that said "Get the Sightron's you will be more than satisfied. They are very close to the alpha's let me tell you". That sounds like a wow recommendation to me.

Get the Sightron's you will be more than satisfied. They are very close to the alpha's let me tell you.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2337141&postcount=9

It would be interesting to do an overnight freezer test of both the Tract and the Maven. Although you are not planning to venture out in the cold with your binoculars, it may be of value to others. I did one recently on the Cabela's Guide 8X32 and posted about it yesterday. I doubt I will be out in zero weather with it any time soon, but it was a fun exercise and may help others.

Bruce,

The Canon 10x42 L IS works well in cold weather if you use either lithium batteries or Eneloop NiMH-rechargeables. I have used one down to about -20 C and the stabilizer still works the same and focus does not get unduly stiff. The eyepieces can fog up on the outside if your breath gets on them accidentally, but that applies to most binoculars.

Kimmo

I've started using the eneloop batteries for everything including the Canon 10x42. Great stuff.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...UIBygB&biw=1366&bih=905#imgrc=CQvZdXvYqSYDgM:

I was wow'd by your lack of wow overall for the Sightron.

Your original review of the Sightron was favorable expect for the focus, saying it was sitting outside at 30 degrees when you opened the box and the focus was stiff. At the time, you said you were going to use it as a summer glass so I guess back then you were doing winter birding.

Your review had a post with a line summary that said "Get the Sightron's you will be more than satisfied. They are very close to the alpha's let me tell you". That sounds like a wow recommendation to me.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2337141&postcount=9

It would be interesting to do an overnight freezer test of both the Tract and the Maven. Although you are not planning to venture out in the cold with your binoculars, it may be of value to others. I did one recently on the Cabela's Guide 8X32 and posted about it yesterday. I doubt I will be out in zero weather with it any time soon, but it was a fun exercise and may help others.
I don't really care about really cold weather birding anymore because I don't do it anymore so I guess my needs have changed. The Sightron Blue Sky's shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as the Maven's or the Trac's. The optics and build quality are not even close to these new Kamakura binoculars. Binoculars have improved a lot since the Sightron's came out. To be honest I always thought the Sightron's looked really cheap and I would never buy one again. People's opinion change over the years.

How is the life span compared to the Lithium batteries?

Good but probably quite a bit better. There are comparison graphs on the internet. Also, I believe they have a very flat discharge curve.

I've got the Nitecore D4 Digicharger.
https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Integrated-Displays-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00L1XYX4Y
It'll do four different capacity batteries simultaneously, eg: 16340, 18650, AAA, and AA, or four all the same or any combination. It seemed to be the best charger from my research. It also doesn't charge them too quickly or even slight overcharge which is important. I also use it for the 18650 batteries for flashlights as others have mentioned, mainly to power a Thrunite TN12 and some 'high CRI' Zebralights.

Rathaus

Last edited:
I've used Eneloops for years in digital cameras. They have always lagged behind traditional rechargeables in capacity. If I recall correctly the original white Eneloops were around 1900mAh for the AA's. But I think that the newer black ones are substantially higher.

Good but probably quite a bit better. There are comparison graphs on the internet. Also, I believe they have a very flat discharge curve.

I've got the Nitecore D4 Digicharger.
https://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-Integrated-Displays-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00L1XYX4Y
It'll do four different capacity batteries simultaneously, eg: 16340, 18650, AAA, and AA, or four all the same or any combination. It seemed to be the best charger from my research. It also doesn't charge them too quickly or even slight overcharge which is important. I also use it for the 18650 batteries for flashlights as others have mentioned, mainly to power a Thrunite TN12 and some 'high CRI' Zebralights.

Rathaus
Thanks. That looks like a nice charger.

Last edited:
Thanks SuperDuty for post 373.
I certainly find the information useful.

When buying Eneloops or in fact anything I try to use a good source that I think reliable, or know to be reliable.

Eneloops in old cameras have worked well after a year's storage. The latest maybe two or three years, which is remarkable.

I use the supplied Eneloop fast charger, which takes about 2.5 hours for 2AAs.
I used very fast chargers, 1.5 hours and the batteries got ridiculously hot, and I thought might catch fire.
Using the slow supplied Eneloop charger, say 7 hours will give a longer life, but is slower than I want.

The advantage of the Eneloop supplied chargers are that the 4 Eneloop AAs almost come free.
I have broken one charger by dropping and another started playing up.
I consign any dubious charger straight to the rubbish bin, as the last thing I want is a burning or exploding charger. The chargers may be made in China, but being supplied with genuine Eneloops is good enough for me.
I try not to charge overnight but rather during the day when I am home for safety reasons. I use a lot of batteries.

There are probably fake Eneloops, so a reliable source is essential.

I obviously prefer Japanese made Eneloops, but I don't know where all Panasonic Eneloops are made.

Throw away lithiums last longer than Eneloops, but are not rechargeable.

I have used Eneloops for maybe 10 years, and the research that Sanyo and now Panasonic have done is impressive.
I tried other makes claiming to be similar, but all the ones I tried are very poor compared to Eneloops.

The black Pro Eneloop may not fit Canon 10x30 II or Canon 12x36 III as the chambers may be too small for the fatter Black Pro Eneloops.

I also only use Kingston, Sandisk or the pro make I cannot recall SD cards, but again from a reliable source. Kingston I think is the most faked, but there will be fake everything.

Last edited:
The black Pro Eneloop may not fit Canon 10x30 II or Canon 12x36 III as the chambers may be too small for the fatter Black Pro Eneloops.
Binastro

The Canon 10x30 II and 12x36 III now have larger battery chambers than the earlier models so the black Pro Eneloops will fit as they also do in the 10x42 L IS.

Stan

I'd have to check, but Maven was considering offering three levels of focus tension, determined by differing grease viscosities.

None of the Mavens I have have much difficulty in cold temps with stiffening of the focus travel.

The Maven B2 in particular is indeed a $2k glass for half of the price. So we get to see how long Dennis holds that opinion I guess, but at this point I almost agree with him.
;)

I'm sure they have addressed the issue by now, or maybe I just had a bad pair. It was a night & day, love / hate relationship with the focuser. I hunted in some bitter cold temps in Saskatchewan with them, and also later here in PA season when temps made it down into the teens.

I liked everything else about the Maven's. I could have sent them in for some tlc, and I'm sure they would have taken care of the problem. I'm not in a money situation where I can afford to keep a bunch of glass around, so in order to keep playing, unfortunately some need to be sold.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back