• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie and Regatta (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
I received my latest copy of the RSPB Birds magazine yesterday and I see it includes a full page advert for Regatta clothing, which features Bill Oddie wearing one of their jackets on 'a London Heath' (no prizes for guessing which one!)

At the same time the Country Innovation advert makes no mention of Bill, so it looks as if they have ended their association and he has moved his allegiance to Regatta.

It's interesting as Regatta have some excellent products at rather more affordable prices than those from CI. I wonder what prompted the move? It will be interesting to see what he wears on the upcoming Springwatch programmes.

Ron

He still gets his own page on the CI website
http://www.countryinnovation.co.uk/BillOddie.php
Yes, it does sound as if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick. It seems the Regatta campaign is an additional one and his association with CI still stands. Regatta have a campaign running which involves four outdoor 'celebrities': Bill Oddie, Janet Street Porter, Michaela Strachan and Peter Duncan. See here:

http://www.regatta.com/News.asp#A48

I will still be intrigued to see which brand he wears on Springwatch.

Ron

I have Regatta gear too, I'd be more than happy to accept payment from them and they can use my image as they will. I'm handsomer than BO too.;)

I always found especially CI amazing when you read what BO says about such clothing in his Little Black Bird Book - like - if you do wear, you are definitely a dude . . .

I encountered a coach party of Country Innovation-wearing birders on Sunday at Minsmere. It was a bit overwhelming. For a minute I thought they had reintroduced conscription.;)

Ron

I encountered a coach party of Country Innovation-wearing birders on Sunday at Minsmere. It was a bit overwhelming. For a minute I thought they had reintroduced conscription.;)

Ron

Ron,

There are certain 'labels' that are must-haves for some people, if you don't have them or wear it your not a 'proper birder'...conscript the buggers they ought too...oops...sorry I'm not being politically correct am I ;)

Bill

Blimey - I had better watch out!!!

I love my CI jacket - warm, waterproof, windproof, pockets galore ....

blimey move over Bill ... perhaps I should go and work for them! ;)

Claire

Oh and I was down there Sunday in my CI jacket - but not on a coach outing - I was there for the dawn chorus walk which started at 4.30! |=o|

Claire

Oh and I was down there Sunday in my CI jacket - but not on a coach outing - I was there for the dawn chorus walk which started at 4.30! |=o|

Don't worry, Claire, you're not alone! I've had a CI fleece jacket for several years and it's still almost as good as new, which is more than I can say for my Regatta trousers, which I haven't worn anything like as frequently as my jacket

Claire

I'm not criticising Country Innovation's products, Claire – I'm sure they are excellent. It was just a bit odd seeing about a dozen people gathered together in identical green jackets. Actually, I'm probably just miffed because it was too busy to get into the hides. I suppose it serves me right for still being in bed at 4.30 in the morning.

Actually, I'd better not say too much as I received a nice green Paramo Cascada jacket for my birthday. Hypocrite, moi?

Ron

Notice they airbrushed out the LEICA logo on Bill's bins! If they hadn't, it could very easily be an advert for LEICA!

I know some people judge on first appearances or what brand of clothes we wear but I wear my coats to suit the weather or whatever activity I'll be doing that day, so I might be wearing one of my 2 CI coats or any one of my three combat jackets and I've also got a few Regatta,s as well. I do own a few "normal" coats as well for when I'm not birdwatching!

Last edited:
I arrived at Minsmere yesterday at 6.15am and the weather was so glorious that no CI jacket was needed! Got away with just my fleece (bought from Tesco or somewhere similar) ;)

Claire

Hi everyone,

Perhaps I had better put all of your minds at rest. Our association with Bill is exactly the same as it has been for the past 12 years, in that he helps us to develop product, gives us feedback and chooses to wear our gear. As NoSpringChicken has rightly said, the Regatta ad campaign featured 4 celebrities and ran for 2 months as a 'one off', and does not alter our partnership with Bill. I made a conscious decision to change the ad in the BIRDS magazine as I thought it would look 'odd' (to coin a phrase!!) to have both us and Regatta featuring Bill.

I apologise if some of you feel our garments are too pricey as I am always conscious that we offer 'value for money' even if it is at the higher technical more quality end of the scale. I am however developing new product as we speak so will bear this in mind.

Happy birding to all!

Maria chilvers :t:
Country Innovation

Don't worry, Claire, you're not alone! I've had a CI fleece jacket for several years and it's still almost as good as new, which is more than I can say for my Regatta trousers, which I haven't worn anything like as frequently as my jacket

Must get rather cold at times in the "nether" regions.

POP

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back