• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Oddie and Regatta (2 Viewers)

CI's may be expensive but they really last, had mine for about 14 years I think!! Main problem is they keep me too warm some times!!! Rarely have to wear a fleece under it.

Most of my gear is Rohan as it again lasts for years.

Neil

I've been keeping an eye on Bill's clothing on Springwatch this week – sad eh! It's been Country Innovation for the first three days but on Thursday's episode, in the heavier rain, it could have been a Regatta jacket. It looked a bit like the one in the RSPB magazine advert. I really should get a life! :-C

Ron

Need to get out more Ron!

LOL
Claire ;)
I can't argue with that Claire.

Incidentally my other half bought herself a Country Innovation jacket last week. I am very impressed with the quality and design (even more so as it was half price!) She was a bit disappointed that it doesn't have the CI logo on the outside so that people know what it is. Strange, I never had her down as a badge snob.

Ron

I've been keeping an eye on Bill's clothing on Springwatch this week – sad eh! It's been Country Innovation for the first three days but on Thursday's episode, in the heavier rain, it could have been a Regatta jacket. It looked a bit like the one in the RSPB magazine advert. I really should get a life! :-C

Ron

Wish he would stick to the Regatta one, the CI jacket is minging! He was using Swaro bins tonight as well.

Must go, I've also got to find a life......

Bill + Leica = History?

Wish he would stick to the Regatta one, the CI jacket is minging! He was using Swaro bins tonight as well.

Must go, I've also got to find a life......

I noticed that too. I was wondering why Bill was so very rarely seen with binoculars, if at all, on the recent Springwatch. Then tonight, we see him with a pair of Swaro EL around his neck. Unbelievable!

Bill has a long association with Leica, but could it be that this relationship has come to a rather unpleasant end?

I noticed that too. I was wondering why Bill was so very rarely seen with binoculars, if at all, on the recent Springwatch. Then tonight, we see him with a pair of Swaro EL around his neck. Unbelievable!

Bill has a long association with Leica, but could it be that this relationship has come to a rather unpleasant end?
I noticed the Swaros too but I think I've seen Kate toting a pair of ELs before so perhaps he pinched her pair (no innuendo there!)

I've also seen that Simon has been wearing a Rab top all week but I think he had a CI Rover jacket on tonight. My OH despairs of me. Can't think why!

Ron

I noticed the Swaros too but I think I've seen Kate toting a pair of ELs before so perhaps he pinched her pair (no innuendo there!)

I've also seen that Simon has been wearing a Rab top all week but I think he had a CI Rover jacket on tonight. My OH despairs of me. Can't think why!

Ron

But he had a deal with Aigle? *confused*

EDIT: And still does: http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/PreferredRetailers/ClothingWildlife.php

EDIT 2: And with RAB: http://www.simonkingwildlife.com/PreferredRetailers/ClothingInsulation.php

:-O

Last edited:
I suppose that just like us when we are cold and/or wet we grab the nearest or best thing to us to put on, be that whatever make or brand!!!

I suppose Bill doesn't have his bins hanging off his shoulder all the time during Springwatch live as he can hardly stop mid sentence to grab a look at something flying over! And where they do most of the filming is up near the big lakes where there are a lot of captive birds and regular pond dwellers so prob not too much to distract him during the shoot! The scrape is some walk away where there may be more birds of interest and the day we went to Pensthorpe last week Bill had his bins with him over his shoulder all the time.
Claire

Just been a nerd and had a look at the pics we took last Thursday during rehearsals and Bill was sporting a pair of Swaro's then too! Nout so good as a change!

What difference does it really make anyway???????????? Perhaps he dropped his Leicas???? Perhaps the Swaros were better??????? :-O

Last edited:
I suppose that just like us when we are cold and/or wet we grab the nearest or best thing to us to put on, be that whatever make or brand!!!

I suppose Bill doesn't have his bins hanging off his shoulder all the time during Springwatch live as he can hardly stop mid sentence to grab a look at something flying over! And where they do most of the filming is up near the big lakes where there are a lot of captive birds and regular pond dwellers so prob not too much to distract him during the shoot! The scrape is some walk away where there may be more birds of interest and the day we went to Pensthorpe last week Bill had his bins with him over his shoulder all the time.
Claire

Just been a nerd and had a look at the pics we took last Thursday during rehearsals and Bill was sporting a pair of Swaro's then too! Nout so good as a change!

What difference does it really make anyway???????????? Perhaps he dropped his Leicas???? Perhaps the Swaros were better??????? :-O

I'm guessing that part of a sponsorship deal with any optical manufacturer would be expected to not be seen using a competing brand.

Bill Oddie was seen an awful lot, on Bird in the Nest in 1994-1995, and in most of his recent programmes, with a pair of Leica bins.

Now I'm off to try and find my life... I don't know where I put it last night. :-C

Yet in an earlier clip shown last week he was using Leica (filmed earlier). His change has nothing to do with one being better than the other.
Kate Humble has Leica as does Gordon Buchanan, Simon King has Zeiss, John Aitchinson has Swarovski.

Yet in an earlier clip shown last week he was using Leica (filmed earlier). His change has nothing to do with one being better than the other.
Kate Humble has Leica as does Gordon Buchanan, Simon King has Zeiss, John Aitchinson has Swarovski.

John had green Leica Ultravids in Bill Oddie's latest series on BBC2.

On another issue, did anyone notice the big advert for Land Rover that was Ray Mear's programme, from Australia, a couple of weeks ago? It was like one long promotional video. I am sure Land Rover were delighted.

Last edited:
Bill Oddie = Swarovski

Once might be a coincidence, but on tonight's Springwatch, Bill again had a pair of Swarovski bins on his shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back