• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular IS small and light. (2 Viewers)

Granpoli

Spain
hello,
I am looking for some light binocular with image stabilizer, and if anyone has been able to compare sizes, weights and image of the Canon 8x20 models (there was also an 8x25 IS) with the 10x30 I would like to know your experience..
Or some other small and light..
Thank you so much
Poli.

No direct comparison with the 10x30. All I have is this:

Canip

my hands can't counteract the shaking of 10x...but is the IS worth it for 8x...?
In size I see that the 8x20 is smaller than the 10x30... but the IS system and the image quality of the first is better than the second?

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

x8 definitely not worth it: I recommend at list 10x30, especially, it's almost the same dimensions
With an unstabilised 8x binocular you actually see as much detail as with a ~5x binocular on a tripod; the efficiency of an unstabilised 8x binocular handheld is about 60-65%. With a stabilised 8x binocular the efficiency is at least 90%, that's 7x or a bit more. In other words: With an 8x stabilised binocular you see more detail than with an unstabilised 10x binocular handheld without any support.

You don't believe this? Check the literature, there have been several studies on this topic. Or do a resolution test with an 8x binocular, once handheld and once on a tripod. The difference is more than obvious.

Hermann

IS system and the image quality of the first is better than the second
I find IS in the 8x20 better (I still get artifacts in the 10x30 with IS on), optics are about equal in both (less CA in the 8x20, but this may be due to the lower magnification).

I feel like I am beating a dead horse but try the Sig Sauer Zulu 6 HDX 10x30 image stabilized binoculars. They are lighter and smaller than the Canon 10x30 IS III. I think the optics are a little better with less CA, they are brighter and have better contrast.

The newer HDX model is supposed to have a little better ED glass, they are IPX7 waterproof instead of IPX4, and they have a feature I really like which makes the additional cost over the older model worth it. They have a two mode IS system.

One mode is for scanning or when you are panning and searching for something, and the other mode is for targeting or when you have found your target, and you just want to observe it closely. Even the scan mode is slightly better than the Canon, but the target mode takes the IS to a whole different level.

When you put them in target mode, the view is rock solid, I mean ROCK SOLID like a tripod with no artifacts present. It is really nice when you have found the desired object you want to observe, and you can just enjoy watching it as if you were using a tripod.

Another nice feature of all the Sig's is you don't have to hold down a button to keep the IS engaged, like you do in some of the Canon's like the 10x30 IS II or Canon 12x36 IS III. The smaller Canons like the 8x20 IS and 10x20 IS do stay on. With the Sigs you turn a switch and the IS stays on for 5 minutes and then shuts off. By turning the switch again, you can toggle back and forth between target mode and scan mode. The switch defaults to scan mode in the beginning.

I have tried all the Canon's that are being discussed, and they are all very good. The Canon 8x20 IS and 10x20 IS are both very good small IS binoculars with excellent optics, but they are not going to be the best choice in low light. I prefer the Canon 10x30 IS III over them optically if you don't mind carrying a slightly larger, heavier binocular because it has a larger AFOV and with its bigger EP it is going to be a little brighter, especially in low light making it a better all around binocular. Many of the Canons, especially the Canon 10x30 IS II also have serious issues with the armor melting when exposed to Deet so that is one thing to be cautious of.

Last edited:
hello,
I am looking for some light binocular with image stabilizer, and if anyone has been able to compare sizes, weights and image of the Canon 8x20 models (there was also an 8x25 IS) with the 10x30 I would like to know your experience..
Or some other small and light..
Thank you so much
Poli.
Another review of the 8x20 is available here Product Review: Canon IS 8 x 20. | Neil English.net
It mentions the Mk I 10x30, which the author has also reviewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back