• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID: SW France (1 Viewer)

BillN

seen in April 2014 - SW France - had a run in with a Buzzard and in the end they both went their separate ways

Hen Harrier Male?

Attachments

• Chase_4.jpg
    Chase_4.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 154
Common Buzzard as well...

seen quite a lot out here but never seen one that colour - maybe the light?

I thought that it was a large pigeon or Dove at first because of it's size - then I cropped and zoomed as saw that it wasn't

Maybe the size comparisons were distorted by the distances

Thanks - here's another image

Attachments

• Chase_3.jpg
    Chase_3.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I believe it's obligatory in examples like this for someone to point out that the French call common buzzards buse variable and they are indeed highly variable. I've been excited by these really pale ones a few times but have come to the conclusion it's best to enjoy a striking looking bird that just happens to be a common species.

seen quite a lot out here but never seen one that colour - maybe the light?

As Dawsy says, they can be extremly variable. In northern Europe, variants like yours or even whiter ones seem to be quite common, in the south much less.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back