• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in S'pore (1 Viewer)

squidoid

Help - what bird is this? Photo taken in Botanic Gardens. Can't match it to anything in my bird books.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 138
What about Blue-cheeked Bee-Eater??

I have no experience whit theese birds, but i am only trying to help :)

I believe it is a Blue-throated Bee-eater-Merops supercilious..i am sure but i wouldnt bet on it..lol..hope some expert will i.d. the bird.regards.

I think it is actually a Blue-tailed Bee-eater - Merops phillipinus.

Blue-cheeked don't occur in SE Asia and I think Blue-throated would have..well a blue throat and this bird doesn't. Also I think Blue-throated is scarce in Singapore.

Blue-tailed have orange lower throat and yellow upper throat.

I think they migrate through the area.

Cheers

Sean

Sean is right that it is a Blue-tailed.

Blue-tailed have arrived in SG over the last month or so and are common. I saw around 20 this morning near home. The same area usually has a few Blue-throated for most of the year but they seem to prefer moving on when the Blue-tailed arrive.

Cheers
Mike

What about Blue-cheeked Bee-Eater??

I have no experience whit theese birds, but i am only trying to help :)

Squidoid is looking for an ID for a bird seen in Singapore. Just how does suggesting a species found no closer than central Asia in the breeding seasons and that winters in Afrian "help"?

BF has users from all around the world - if you've got no experience of the area, why not leave it to someone who has?

Thanks and one more...

Hey folks thanks so much. There's a blue-tailed bee-eater in one of my books actually but I'm a newbie at this and the birds look so different from different angles, under lighting conditions. Viator/Mike, whereabouts do you live that you have such easy access to birds?

One more thing: is this an ashy tailorbird?

Attachments

• ashy tailorbird.jpg
    ashy tailorbird.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 73
Hi Squidoid,

Yes thats an Ashy Tailorbird - I assume you were at EcoLake at the Botanical Gardens! You can almost always see Ashy Tailorbirds there!

I live on Meyer Rd, Katong - if I only have a couple of hours I walk over to the reclaimation land from Fort Rd i.e. what will be Marina East. Saw 41 species over there this morning which is about average.

Cheers
Mike

yes it's an Ashy Tailorbird

the other is a Blue-tailed BE as already stated. Blue-throated are, as the name suggests blue throated, with no rufous present. Beautiful birds though and the gardens are a great place for both species.

regarding answering these queries, funnily enough i received an email the other day about a bird seen in Sri Lanka where opinion was apparently divided over Blue-cheeked or Blue-tailed. The guy above was only trying to help.

regarding answering these queries, funnily enough i received an email the other day about a bird seen in Sri Lanka where opinion was apparently divided over Blue-cheeked or Blue-tailed. The guy above was only trying to help.

Lots of people use these forums to learn, or so I keep being told. I'm not sure how other people giving them incorrect ID's based on no experience can be a "help"?

Lots of people use these forums to learn, or so I keep being told. I'm not sure how other people giving them incorrect ID's based on no experience can be a "help"?

Indeed, we do. I feel that just the suggestion (which it was, really) of Bee-eater was probably a helpful nudge in the right direction for the poster.

score!

For once, a correct ID :) Thanks everyone for confirming that for me. Yeah Mike that was indeed at the Ecolake. 41 species - wow! I'm still getting used to spotting birds...

Bob Tag is of course right!
How lucky we are then that there´s alway the better educated on BF. ;)

JanJ

Knowledge is a great thing. So is tact (defined below):

tact |takt|
noun
adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues

Oblio

I wouldn´t say that Bob Tag is being tactless, he just knows his stuff. People are different, also on BF, and as I said - there´s always the better educated, humble as he/she often should be.

JanJ

Knowledge is a great thing. So is tact (defined below):

tact |takt|
noun
adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or with difficult issues

Oblio

Knowledge is indeed a great thing, and I really enjoy the threads when people share their knowledge - there is a lot out there! But still not quite sure I understand why it's a good thing to make wildly incorrect suggestions?

I've been to Singapore a few times and have been birdin out there, but never in winter so I didn't feel it right to suggest an ID that could well have been wrong and lead the user asking for help in the wrong direction - so on this thread I didn't actually put an ID forward 'cos I didn't think it would help.

OK maybe it wasn't the most tactful way to say it, but I think calling our poster a "difficult issue" is a bit harsh Oblio... ;)

Jeez glad I got the answer right for once!

OK, sorry, been a bit OTT, and nicely set myself up for a fall next time I get one wrong ;)

Like all birders I of course c*ck it up, though I'm not afraid to call it and learn from it. Problem of being a talker I guess...

But you know, I've read so many posts recently that lead people in the wrong direction, it's a shame...

I believe it is a Blue-throated Bee-eater-Merops supercilious..i am sure but i wouldnt bet on it..lol..hope some expert will i.d. the bird.regards.

Well people looks like i made a blunder ..in the common name ..lol...(Singh Brain..lol..:'D)..you see i knew it was a blue-tailed bee-eater..e.g...look at the scientific name is right..but while typing i wrote Blue-throated instead of Blue-tailed..senior movements or senility..lol..:'D..i leave that to you'll...as for leaving the bird I.D..to people who are experts in that area ..i wouldnt comment..because Tim Allwood has many times I.D. the birds from this area and a man of vast knowldge of bird of Asia..with wicked sence of humour..(sorry Tim...what true is true..lol..:D..lol.)...As for those who make a mistake in I.D..a bird...keep IDing even if you make a mistake..for then how can we learn..by our mistakes only isnt it true..regards people..B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back